Thread: What is the bare min for a 4d55 to run?

Hybrid View

Array
    Status
    British Columbia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

What is the bare min for a 4d55 to run?

Hello everyone! Been a 'lurker' on the forum for a long time. The support on here is awsome.

Anywho, got a 84 ram 50 sport with a turbo 4d55 motor in it. I would like to know if anyone has an idea of what is needed to make a 4d55 run. This is for a future project as the truck is now undrivable due to cancer and various other things. It will be a custom build so I'm not looking to have gauges or things like that working (it will all be aftermarket) just want it to run. So besides things like the alternator, starter, fuel pump, etc does the motor have any sensors it relies on to run (emission stuff maybe)? I'm assuming it will run with power to the fuel selinoid but do I need to keep the computer on the passenger side of the cab? I would like it to be simple and bare minimum as at the moment it has some electric gremlins. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    I have an 85. I'm guessing that thing on the passenger side that you think is a computer is simply just the thing that controls the glow plugs.

From what I can gather, it puts 12V across the glow plugs for a brief couple seconds, and then goes back to 6V so the plugs don't burn out. Then at some point it turns them off. Mine failed and I removed it and replaced it with a two position switch. If yours still works, I don't see why it has to stay on the passenger side, except for the fact that the wiring harness has its connectors there.

All the emissions stuff is vacuum controlled as far as I know.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    As for gauges, the box shouldn't effect any of them since the sensors are directly connected to the gauges. A nice thing for our older vehicles, but things changed in newer vehicles and usually can involve new gauge installs. Having the wiring specs can usually get your gauges to work fine again, takes a little time, but it is possible.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Keep the glow plug timer. It will keep you from burning them out. As for the bare minimum. You pretty much covered it. Just the vacuum pump for brakes.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    British Columbia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    That's good to hear. I was a little worried being an import. I'm quite familiar with the early cummins isb and they are basically self sufficient. Didn't realise that thing on the passenger side was the glow plug controller. That might be part of my problem. Are they still available? Part number maybe? The glow plugs are a year new (been sitting) and the two selinoids have been replaced. I also remember from somewhere that a Mazda b2200 tranny will bolt up to this motor. Can anyone confirm that? I have 2 of those in good condition and it would be nice to get rid of the extra weight of the transfer case on my project truck.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Only some of the Mazda trucks came with the D-50 trans. Some did some did not. It's just a crap shoot when it comes to them. But the diesel is a hole different thing. IDK if the used the same trans as the gas. I don't see why they would have made a different trans. Pennyman or mikewarme would know for sure.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    British Columbia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Thanks for the responses. Sorry for the slow reply. I drive truck out west where there is no cell or Internet service. I'm going to do more research on the Mazda tranny and I'll post what I find. The more options for our trucks the better! I know the d50's came with a few different transmissions. I've got a km141. Had to rebuild it a few years ago. Your right, It would seem kind of a waste to have a whole bunch of different transmissions. Time for some forum hunting

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    The automatic AW372 is geared almost perfectly for the diesel engine. It runs just over 2000 RPM in overdrive at 65 MPH on normal sized tires and 3.54 rear end. And it's all mechanical if you're looking for caveman simplicity. I think the only two wires are neutral and reverse.

The AW372L is the locking version.

It's also a tough transmission. Rated to 375 lb-ft stock.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Pretty sure that trans is the same exact wideblock trans avaliable in most all manual rwd mitsubishis. I know that at one point the mazda/ford had the mitsu diesel in them with obviously the mistu trans. If it had the i think perkins diesel or gas motor im pretty sure it is a different trans, but im no expert on non-mopar stuff lol.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    The 4D55 and 4 d 56t are similar to the 12 valve (and older8 valve 4bt) Cummins ISB engine family. The fuel injector pump is a Bosch I believe and similar to the Dodge first Gen pumps, I am pretty sure. Others more recently familiar can say with certainty on here. I will know soon, as I am ordering a new 4d 56t engine for my truck this month!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the tranny from a mazda b2600 in 87 - 88 are the only years that fit our trucks. The tranny is in the 4wds only, and has a removable bell housing, allowing for a tranny swap to a mazda rx-7 tranny. They are very hard to find, and are a wide block bolt pattern.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980