Status
    Irving, TX
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Exclamation VERY basic help needed with Weber carb install

Hello everyone,

I have a Weber 32/36 DFEV carb I am trying to install in my 87 Dodge Ram 50, but before I get started, I want to acknowledge that it is highly advised to install an electric fuel pump along with the carb. However, I want to go ahead and finish this, then drive the vehicle to a mechanic to do the fuel pump install because of my amateur skill-set. I know I am almost done with this carb install, but I just need help help with the hoses.

Weber_FuelLines_VacuumPort.jpgWeber_ElectricChoke.jpg

I have two pictures posted above. On one of them, I have the fuel inlet pipe and the (two?) fuel supply lines circled in red, and the vacuum advance port (and hose?) circled in blue. In the second I have a green line starting at the electric choke and going to where I believe it is supposed to be wired. The first thing I want to do is confirm that what I suspect is correct; that the two hoses circled in red are the same thing, meaning that both will have to be connected to the one inlet pipe; that the hose circled in the blue is the vacuum hose; and the green line shows where I am suppose to wire the electric choke.

The last thing is all the other vacuum hoses. You can see in the photos that I started taking some out of the area they originated and plugging them, but I have left the rest for now because I noticed that some of them begin where a few more end. I was wondering, do I need to follow all of those hoses to their beginning as well or can I just plug the beginning area where two become one?

Thanks for your time and help!

Array
    Status
    Irving, TX
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    So, from what further research has brought me, it turns out that other hose circled in blue is another fuel line. Now I have 3 fuel lines with only one inlet. I have found a thread that touches on this topic, not specific to my year model truck, but it seems like this person had the same issue as me:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...-Weber-Install

From what I am gathering on that, I am thinking the blue-circled fuel line is a return one, so I think I may be safe with connecting this with one of the red-circled fuel lines. However, now I do not have any idea where the vacuum advanced hose is.

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Let me know if you still need help, and I will give you my two cents

Array
    Status
    Irving, TX
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Yes! I am still needing help getting all of this figured out. For the time being I had started other projects on my other vehicle, but I definitely need to finish things with this.

P.S.
    I have been wondering if starting the fuel pump install at this point would make the rest of the carb install a bit easier.

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    The hoses in red are coming off the fuel pump, I don't know which is supply and which is return, but that won't matter if you install the electric pump. I also believe that hose in the blue is a return line, considering it's location. If your installing the electric fuel pump you can plug that hose up. Before you do that, make sure it isn't the fuel supply line. Just follow those two little hoses you circled in red and they will lead you to the fuel pump. Check for a big hose going into the pump. It should be bigger than the hose you circled in blue. You can detach the big hose and connect it to the fuel inlet you circled in red. And take off the mechanical fuel pump and put a block off plate if you can make one. Or just Leave the pump on in the meantime.

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Now for the vacuum advance! Locate your distributor, there should be a diaphragm on the distributor with a vacuum line connected to it. Leave one end of the vacuum line connected to the diaphragm and connect to the other end to the vacuum advance port on the carb. The only problem is that it looks like somebody removed the diaphragm from your distributor? I'm going to try to post a pic of a distributor with a diaphragm on it, so you know what it looks like.

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Honestly, I would just install the electric fuel pump through a relay and ditch the mechanical one. If you get the right pump, you won't need a fuel pressure regulator. Which I read is better for these webers. http://www.racetep.com/webfuelspark.html#webfuel When you add a regulator it causes the fuel to flow in a pulsing manner (mechanical fuel pumps do that too.) I know the Install can seem intimidating, but you seem like a smart guy. You should install an oil safety switch also. Research what that is, if you don't know. Here is a link to the page where I got my wiring info from. They tell you how to install the pump, relay, and oil safety switch. http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/...fuel-pump.html Here is the pump I'm using. Airtex E8016S. I'm also using their oil safety switch. I would suggest getting a quality relay like a Bosch.

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Connect the choke wire to the positive wire going to the fuel pump.