Thread: how do you replace the fuel filter on a 1995 MM?

Array
    Status
    redding, ca
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

how do you replace the fuel filter on a 1995 MM?

Sorry yall, I am very new to diy repairs so, please bare with me...
    I'd like to replace the fuel filter on my 95 mm. and the Chilton manual is confusing the hell out of me...
    First off the Chilton manual says to reduce fuel pressure...remove the fuel pump cover plate located under the carpet in the "trunk area"... is that under the bench seat? or is this just for the Montero? The only other possible location that I can figure is shown in a crappy illustration showing the fuel pump harness location - pick-up models. The image really makes no sense to me at all. Where is that harness located?
    Next... where is the filter? Chilton says it's mounted to the frame... but where?
    Next... Chilton says in the "general information and maintenance section to remove the air cleaner assembly... but in the "fuel system" section there is no mention of this step... why?
    Thanks yall, obviously I need all the help I can get.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    The fuel filter is on the inside of the drivers side frame rail about half way between the door. Hard to miss. If you don't know what it looks like to verify - take the new out of the box and you will know what it looks like.

Relieve the fuel pressure by unplugging the fuel pump and cranking the engine. You can unplug the pump by worming your hand through the drivers side rear wheel well to the top of the tank. if you have the metal fender shroud still on your truck, unbolt it for access. Once you have it unplugged, crank/start the engine until it dies (it may not start at all). Let it crank a few seconds more before replacing the filter. Just remember to plug everything back in when finished.

Array
    Status
    redding, ca
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    OK! Got it almost figured out... there were two copper washers. One stayed on the end of the eye bolt that I took off. The other I found on the ground after everything was disassembled. My question is - do the washers go on both sides of the high pressure hose when I slide the eye bolt back through the hose fitting and into the filter? That's what I assumed. But, the area around that 2nd washer - where the eye bolt goes into the filter leaks just a drip every 25-30 secconds. damn... do they both sit together on the outside end of the eye bolt? Hope that was a good enough explanation of my problem. I could draw a diagram if needed. Thanks!

Array
    Status
    redding, ca
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64

Array
    Status
    redding, ca
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Gave it a few extra ft.lbs. and no drips. Guess it's all good to go. Let me know what yall think about washer locations.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    It is supposed to be just like your sketch. You should have used new washers/seals and removed the old ones completely.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Yes. A washer goes on each side on the banjo fittings, otherwise fuel leek = Truck-B-Que.

!cid__12-13-13_1330.jpg
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    west coast, ca
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Thanks for the answers to the how to get to disconnect the fuel pump power. I took some pics and will upload them so anyone who has this question can easily see what we are talking about.

Array
    Status
    west coast, ca
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Pics as I said, I'd share.
    1st is wheel-well-fender-shroud
    wheel-well-fender-shroud.jpg
    Then shroud off. You can see the pump power connector.
    fuel-pump-wire.jpg
    Pump power wire disconnected.
    fuel-pump-wire-disconnected.jpg