Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Question Speedometer Cables

I am wondering if automatic transmission speedometer cables are the same as manual transmission cables? if not what are the differences? I have a 1995 Mighty Max Automatic 2.4L SWB Regular Cab truck. Mine is broke somewhere in the cable housing and I have manual transmission cables laying around from my other mighty maxs I have owned throughout the years I was wondering if possible I could use one to replace it with.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Hi,

As far as my resources have checked, the cables are basically the same with a threaded one side and a clip for the other. Some cables also will fit the Toyota as well. One of the main problems you may find is the length. They can range from average 51" all the way to 73". The cables are pretty basic design and all have that square cable end for the driving of the cables. I can't tell you if either transmission cable lengths are the same though.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    on first gens they are not the same - the tranny end of the cable is different where it goes into the speedo gear. I would think the 2nd gen would be different too - try it and see, then let us know. I know about the 1st gen issue from experience.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Yea I haven't tried any of them yet sorry. I will keep you informed on the swap of speedo cables and thanks for the quick response.

Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Well I have got the speedometer cables figured out and mostly bad news Sorry.

I have a manual trans cable and a automatic trans cable the two are completely different and as well of the transmission speedometer gear housing that is mounted on the side of the automatic trans and the manual trans.

The cables are the same length and same connectors on the transmission side and same on the instrument cluster side as well.

The internal cables are completely different.

Manual trans cable has a large diameter rounded keyed way end that goes into the trans and a square small end going to the instrument cluster.

Automatic trans cable has a small diameter square end that goes into the trans and a square small end going to the instrument cluster.

The trans input speedo gear housing is smaller in diameter than the automatic trans does it is a large diameter housing so can't interchange them.

I will have pics posted underneath comparing the cables sorry for the damaged cables all I had to work with.

DSCN0749.jpgDSCN0750.jpgDSCN0751.jpgDSCN0752.jpgDSCN0753.jpgDSCN0754.jpgDSCN0755.jpgDSCN0757.jpgDSCN0758.jpg

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    thats what I was talking about - the pics says it all.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thank You!! lol

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    These folks are pretty reasonable if your local Mitsubishi dealer can't help you http://mitsubishiparts.net/parts/199...?siteid=218241

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    I'm going through speedo cable woes myself. I think the driven gear is different between the 1st and 2nd Gens also...and also between the 2nd Gen 'A' (87-89) and 2nd Gen 'B' (90-94). The early and later 2nd Gens look the same, but there are many subtle differences and a lot of differences in the running gear.

Just be glad you are not looking for a speedo cable for an '88 with factory cruise. It's an odd ball 3 ended cable.