Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Which carb?

Is there a difference between the SOLEX and the weber? I have both the stock carb and then a solex. I know the weber is the best but I know nothing about the SOLEX? So should I just scrap the other 2 carbs and get the weber or is the Solex good enough?
    Last edited by Dodgehemi7; 03-22-2015 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Wrong title

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Do it right the first time - put a weber on it and be done with it. The solex carbs are a work alike weber, but no where near as good. Also be sure to only buy from a dealer selling redline weber kits - webercarbsdirect sell junk carbs that claim to be webers, but are chinese copies. Do not but empi carbs either, they are a copy of a sort of weber copy, and are even worse.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I was actually looking at webercarbsdirect so I am glad that I asked first. I will do some searching for a redline weber kit and be done. Do you also know what fuel pump I should be after. A certain brand that is better?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I run a holley,but I run a higher pressure one than most on here without a regulator, can't remember the model (7psi at 70-80 gph). The pressure for a weber is about 3-4 psi, so if you want to, you can run a pressure reg to adjust it to the right pressure - you must have more pressure (1-2 psi)than you set the reg to or it will restrict the fuel flow. Webers are more dependant on flow than pressure to work properly - the higher the flow, the better they work. Others have run carters, but they are noisey, and aeromotive. I used to run a Mallory, but went to the holley for the higher pressure and flow.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Sounds good. I am hoping to get the carb and what not here soon. Then once the engine is done hope that it runs again!