Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

The start of a restore/rebuild

So I found my first truck and it is in rough shape. Doing this rebuild so that I can give it to my daughter as her first truck. I am starting by removing whats left of the motor (Valve cover and various parts removed before I got it back). My goal is to get the engine bay redone first, then rebuild or replace motor, then work on tranny/transfer then tackle axles/drive shafts. After all power and drive train then will come interior and body. Any advice on a quality rebuild kit and complete head? I am assuming that it needs a rebuild and head to be safe considering the items tore off of the motor. I will have block fluxed and take it from that point on the block.

88 Dodge D50 2.6 Manual

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    There's a guy in Auburn, CA with a complete G54B long block sitting in his garage. Might be worth the drive.

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Nice, thats not to bad of a drive. Do you know what he wants for it? Or is it a craigslist type of ad?

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Be sure to post photos as you progress in your build.

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I am trying to but windows 8 hates my scanner. My original photos are before digital era. Once I can get my scanner working i will post old and then start posting current through the whole process.

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Oh right on! Agreed with the posting of pics as you go along Looking forward to hearing more

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The truck is in poor shape right now. Looks like it was used as a mud truck so I have alot of time and money but when finished will be awesome to see my daughter driving my first pickup.

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    So here are some pictures before I sold the truck.
    scan0001.jpgscan0002.jpg

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Well now for the current condition. By the way I paid $200. Would have never bought a truck in this condition if it wasnt the first truck that I owned. This is what it looks like now. I found the truck 100 miles away and on 3/6/2015 went with a trailer and this is what i found.
    IMG_1459.jpgIMG_1460.jpgIMG_1461.jpgIMG_1462.jpgIMG_1463.jpgIMG_1464.jpgIMG_1465.jpgIMG_1466.jpg

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    So the good is that it is the same truck that I parted with. The bad is that it is barely a truck and I have motor, body, interior, paint and power train to replace/fix. The factory KC offroad lights and fog lights are a real bummer to not have. The factory rims are also a bummer. Somehow the grant steering wheel stayed so that cool. Let me know how crazy you guys think I am. My wife doesnt see the truck the same as I do.

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    To people who don't "get" how amazing it is to find a 1st car & be able to restore it for yourself & family, that's about oh 9 of 10 on the crazy score. It still has the glass

To other crazy people, it's probably 2 of 10 on the crazy score. Unless it came with the tools that are on the seat, then it's 1 out of 10 lol.

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Tools are mine. But I definitely was happy to get it back. Now the real fun begins with removing whats left of the motor.

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    So I went to the U-Pull it yard and found some treasures. Pictures soon.

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    This was my treasure. Door panels just forgot to get the actual handle so it is still blue at the moment. I also found the seat and it is in like 8 out of 10 condition. I paid $45 for the door panels as a pair with the arm rest, the inside cover of door handle, the top corner piece and all hardware.
    The first picture is of the original driver door panel. The second is the picture of the new door panel, and the third is a picture of the original passenger door panel and the last is of the new passenger. Ran out of time for the passenger install tonight.
    IMG_1469.jpgIMG_1468.jpgIMG_1467.jpgIMG_1470.jpg

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The door panels are off a 94. So a little different shape but fits the bill. I am getting the seat tomorrow after work.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    i'm amazed the license plates were never changed (when it was sold or when the new owner took posession)...can you register the same plates again...that would be cool...especially that plate.

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah I can register it with the same plates. Its is alot cheaper if you reuse the plates that are on the vehicle so I am sure thats the only reason why they stayed

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Your old / new truck will surely be a labor of love on many levels - the fact that you got it back, guilt for selling it to some a-hole that tried to kill it, and the father / daughter project it is now. The truck looks as sad as the shape it's in right now, but soon it will be smiling again, now that it is in caring hands again. Keep the pics coming.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I sure will pennyman1. I almost have the head off, then I will pull the rest of the engine. Once that head is off and the engine is out then I can get to work on the heart of the truck. Hopefully block is in good shape.

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I did not make it to the junk yard after work. So I was unable to get the seat today. Hopefully I will find time this week. Would hate to see that seat gone.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Door panels are a little shorter like that? hmmm never noticed anything like that before. Glad your getting rid of that blue. My Toyota MR2 had blue interior, had....now its all black and much better.
    Your truck was very nice when you sold it, your right about it being mistreated too I think. I'm sure you feel good to have it back.

If you can't find some parts for your build to interior, try this stuff. Best stuff I have ever used that came from a can. Great wear factor and looks beautiful when it dries.
    02634856_0.gif
    Last edited by BradMph; 03-10-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The dash will be the hardest to get rid of the blue. That will have to come later on. I didnt notice they were shorter until I got home from junkyard. I also didnt notice that the arm rest were different until I got home either. I like the original arm rest better but they were in bad shape.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    About the G54B, he wanted like $500 or something but he seemed more interested in bartering. Get in touch with him on Facebook, he's David J. Verdugo of Carmichael CA. I'm going to have a more or less complete early style blue vinyl interior with mint panels and armrests soon. Want me to put stuff aside for you? Need a blue dash?

Did the Incredible Hulk get angry and punch a hole through your hood?

I would kill for that custom fit light bar. Can't find stuff like that anywhere.

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Noah i will message him once I get the engine out and see what I am dealing with. I dont think I will need any dash pieces, but I will let you know. Some of the models back in the day had some cool little features. I really like the dash clock as well, so I got to go find me one.

Array
    Status
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    So i am gonna need a new head. From what I can read on here the clearwater head seems to be the way to go. So without having the engine removed yet, if I need to replace crank which one do you guys think is gonna be the best. I have no clue if I need to just trying to figure out rough cost.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast