Array
    Status
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63

My first project car

Hey there, MightyRam50! I just picked up this beaut of a 91 for $600. It is the base of base models--no power steering, no 4wd, original radio didn't even have a cassette deck, spring clutch, you can't get any more basic. But the price was right and I always wanted a pickup truck so here I am. I love this little truck so far and I'm glad I got such a good deal on it; my coworker who sold it to me has thrown in a ton of spare parts and even the Haynes manual. I want to make a good hunting and camping truck out of it, and I've gone ahead and read through the new owners' post. There's a few things I want to do to it, so I made a list.

Limited slip rear
    Power steering
    I'd like to give it a light lift, nothing huge, maybe 6" or so
    I'd also like to weld up a brush guard and a rollover bar, but that might be going too far
    Maybe a snorkel

I've seen a nice one near me set up the way I want to get it, but I don't have $6k right this minute to buy it. And anyways, it's better to build things yourself, I think. If anyone could point me to old threads that have the information I'm seeking, I'd greatly appreciate it. It's been a while since I've used a forum like this but I promise I'll post a picture soon.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome to the forum, Kneeslider!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I see you got things figured out OK.
    Any questions just ask. It might take a while for people to respond but they will.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The LSD is a good upgrade and is accessible as it was a factory option. If it's 2WD I would advise against lifting it (6" will take fabrication work for cab supports, steering links, bumper mounts etc) and it will make the handling scary. IMO it would be better to add uprated springs and shocks, replace the suspension bushes and tie rod/link ends and fit a decent wheel package to it. I would fit a roll bar and some driving lights (maybe an LED light bar...), upgrade the headlights and maybe swap the stock front bumper for a brush guard/pedestrian masher. Post pics and ask questions when you're in a bind and you can't find what you're looking for in the search bar
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    Is there a restriction on new members posting pictures? I keep trying to upload my pic and it keeps not doing it. It's not a spectacular picture but I might need to post in the future. I'm definitely blowing smoke but I've never pulled a motor head before.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Nope, you should be able to upload to your own album here. I haven't tried uploading since the site got a full update. Are you using the 'Go Advanced' option under the text box? I was freaking hopeless at getting images to work when I first joined... anyway the #1 cause of blowing smoke and excessive oil use is bad head stem valve seals. 95% of the time new valve stem seals will fix the problem. Luckily the G63B favours the uninitiated when it comes down to wrenching. If you have a torque wrench, the hex socket to crack the head bolts and a bunch of metric tools the only thing you need is reference material like a workshop manual or online PDF's/guides and you can pull this off

If the head is viable you've won half the battle. I would advise you to send it through a shop for a hot tank and inspection before throwing resources into it. Expect to spend some cash on a timing belt kit, new accessory belts and hoses, possibly a water pump and definitely get regular service parts like a thermostat and radiator cap, plugs and leads etc. While it's apart it is the best opportunity to nail down things that may come back to haunt you after you've done a bunch of wrenching on the engine. Last thing you want is to blow a head from a bad thermostat or water pump...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    Every time I go advanced and hit the "upload files" button, it's like nothing gets uploaded at all. I navigate through my computer, select the image, and I can see the file path on the website but when I try to upload it, nothing happens.
    What kind of shop would I be looking for that could do that work? I'm guessing a regular mechanics shop could inspect it, but a hot bath I'm guessing is from a different business? Also I know it varies from place to place but what would I be looking to spend for those services once I give them the head? The previous owner claims he did the water pump already, I think I want to replace the entire radiator as it's looking pretty nasty for its age.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I think almost any auto shop would have a tank. I have no idea about costs.

Posting Pics-Go Advanced. Manage Attachments, New window opens, Select Add Files, Drop down menu opens below add files button, Select Browse, choose file, click open, go back to drop menu with browse option and select upload. The picture will appear in the bottom area of the manage attachments window marked attachments starting from left. Be sure there is a check mark in the box where you can put one, make sure your curser is where you want it in the posting box, select Insert Inline on the manage attachments window.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If you have the all metal radiator (brass tanks and copper core) stay with it or at least swap it for another one if yours is leaking. The plastic and alloy ones aren't as 'solid'. The plastic top tanks can crack if you have a coolant loss somewhere and the cheap aftermarket radiators don't last. I find mixing up a batch of citric acid powder and hot water, then filling the brass/copper radiators while lying face down and the cap on will eat the calcification and junk out of them without damaging anything (if it leaks after that, it had already breached somewhere and the crap inside of it was only plugging the hole) Leave it for an hour or so before dumping the solution into a bucket and flushing it out with a garden hose thoroughly. If you think you can still get more junk out of the radiator, repeat the process with either the solution you've collected or just make a fresh batch with hot water (I tried heating the cooling cores with a heat gun and it seemed to help, but you don't want to put so much heat into them as to cause the solder to sweat...)

Array
    Status
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    Alright, I think I finally figured it out. Chrome is not a good browser for some of these forums for some reason.
    20200628_024141.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...Chrome is not a good browser for anything. But you got it working so that is a win. You truck looks pretty straight and clean - a hit of paint on the bumper and a good scrub down on the wheels and it'll look minty