5.gas does have ethanol

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Yeah DEFINATELY not wa lol we have that wonderful up to 10% ethanol blend at EVERY pump =/. I think the problem with Alaska is the temperatures are so low for so long that the ethanol blend causes issues. Even though the great lakes area is almost the same lol. Does Canada have non ethanol fuels in the north? If so, i would guess that is the reason why.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    can't stand that ethanol crap either - there is a bill in congress to eliminate ethanol in gasoline - fat chance of that happening - the corn lobby is to powerful for that to happen.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Try Pacific Pride Fuel stations. They are ethanol freee

Quote Originally Posted by Redneckmoparman View Post
    Yeah DEFINATELY not wa lol we have that wonderful up to 10% ethanol blend at EVERY pump =/. I think the problem with Alaska is the temperatures are so low for so long that the ethanol blend causes issues. Even though the great lakes area is almost the same lol. Does Canada have non ethanol fuels in the north? If so, i would guess that is the reason why.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Yeah brad pac pride and two other locals here have ethanol free 87octane avaliable, usually at or more than 92 octane and i run 92 octane in almost all my junk, besides the old carbd junk, and then i just run the cheapest of the cheap lol. Not very useful to find ethanol free when its only in the junk octane. And yes i only run it in vehicles that are calibrated to run on 92(my neons are custom dyno tuned with a high output calibration by the one and only guy that is able to tune a neon)

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I have not had a chance to run a non ethanol fuel since I have rebuilt my trucks engine. I will be trying it soon though. I recently dropped a tank of high octane in since gas prices are so low and it sure seemed like it enjoyed it. I can use the full range of octane with no ill effects like knocking or added heat from them. But, my Toyota MR2 is not so cooperative. It wants only the highest octane and is required by manufacture specs.

I just got a Pac Pride credit card just for the non ethanol, so my boat will stop running so crappy and it is just healthier for our combustion engines.
    Putting dead dinosaurs in my fuel tank sure sounds a lot better then shoving a cob of corn in it.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Well ethanol is actually not bad for the engine, just for the rubber in the fuel system. Its a much higher octane(dont let the number at the pump fool you), therefore allowing a lot more timing and ability to create power, but requires a much greater amount of fuel(runs at like 10:1 for stoich instead of the 14.7:1 that gasoline does.) Downsides are it eats rubber so you need to buy special stuff and it sours a lot quicker than standard gasoline. That is why non ethanol gas is good for boats and lawn equipment and the like since they do a whole lot of sitting around. As far as octane goes, the lower the octane the faster and more potent it is, and the higher the octane the lower the burn rate is and is better at combating detationation. This is why high compression motors and boosted motors require much higher octane, they are more potent and would burn so fast it wouldnt make the proper amount of power. There are a lot of different factors into the type of fuel and octane. Our trucks on stock ignition and timing settings are not designed to run higher octane, but with higher compression, boost, or increased timing, you can take advantage of a higher octane and get more power out of the same amount of gasoline, therefore making it more efficient. The cost difference is also MUCH less than what you would think it is for a 15 gallon fillup, a difference of $0.20 ($2.59 for regular and $2.79 for premium) per gallon would net you a cost difference of $3.00 to fill with 92 octane instead of 87 octane and greatly reduces the chance for pre-detenation and engine knock. Granted if an engine is only designed to run on 87 octane you will not see any performance gain(usually a loss due to incomplete burn since it doesnt burn fast enough) This is only the basics and the start of the differences and different advantages

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I think corn cobs take longer to decay than the dinosaurs did. If you shoved one in the tank you'd be hearing it clunking around till the doors rotted off. It must cost more to produce ethanol than the ethanol is worth, and generate more greenhouse gas than the ethanol is supposed to reduce. We'd probably be better off if they took the ethanol out and put the lead back in..lol

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I vote for lead, makes engines quiet and valves last way longer. When was the last time you seen a 3 eyed fish at the local pond also. naaa lead is good, I only had 2 eyes before lead.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    hey, homer's looking for that fish - it belongs by the power plant...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I don't know how up to date this is but it lists gas stations that sell ethanol free gas in Canada and the U.S. Just click on your state or province abbreviation for a list.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Rockford Illinois
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    15.5 mpg on my last tank

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Are you happy with that?

Array
    Status
    Rockford Illinois
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Yes considereding all my driving is in town and my start time has changed at my second job I had twenty minutes between the two now I have fifteen and I have to use a little more foot on the gas so I can be there on time

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    With our trucks being geared so low I don't think we can do much better. Getting the RPM's down is one way to improve fuel economy. A body lift and bigger wheels might bring the revs down enough to make a difference if you don't lose it to wind resistance. Keeping it under 90 km h or 55 mph helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12