Array
    Status
    Rockford Illinois
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

gas mileage

I have a 1989 power ram 50 2.6l 4x4 the previous owner put on the Weber 32/36 dfve carburator I was reading through the post and came along the post talking about the counterfeit Weber carbs I went out and checked and I have the counterfeit Weber the truck runs fine accept for the gas mileage has dropped when I first got it I was getting 16 to 17 miles a gallon now I am getting 10 to 11 miles a gallon . Being that is winter I will let it run at least 10 to 15 minutes to warm up to get some heat because the heater does not work the best but that is another issue would letting it idle for 10 to 15 minutes affect the gas mileage that much I have seen on some of the post some people are getting 20 pluses miles a gallon are they 2 wheel drive or four wheel drive if my gas mileage does not get better once it warms up I am going to replace the carb with a real weber

Array
    Status
    Rockford Illinois
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I have owned the truck for six months

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    the 1983 4x4 has a 2.6 original carb & gutted cat but recently got 16mpg in 4wd -20f driving @ 85+ & constantly holding the pedal to the floor (i am making sure i get all the bugs worked out before handing over the keys to my daughter). I am glad you elaborated on your heat issue as I strongly believe the issues are tied together & not the false weber (unless the choke mechanism needs adjusting or is not receiving voltage / air filter dirty)......a few other things to check: your temp readout indicates to me that thermostat is incorrect "the" service manual recommends 88c (190f) OR MORE with jiggle valve (i run a stant 45869 which is 195f in the 1983 g54b) improper engine temp will cause low fuel economy (i know your thinking its gonna run too hot, read on). another item to check is spark plugs (@ sometime the cross reference charts got messed up & most parts stores will recommend a hotter plug & not show the following) for a g54b "the" service manual recommends NGK bur6ea-11 or ND w20epr-s11 (i had trouble locating either of these for a reasonable price & run an equivalent autolite 63 @ $2.19 each in the 1983 g54b). improper spark plug heat value will cause fuel economy issue (if you are an ngk lover like i am always remember their chart is opposite of most..the lower the #=hot & the higher the #=cold). another item is faulty advance mechanism (this may mean something as simple as vacuum leak) "typically" the line gets old & "usually" only cracks where it attaches. i recently had discovered 1 on the 1983 (after i was sure got all of them) & it was cracked on the underside where i couldn't see, after a quick snip off of the last 1/2" & reapply it was noticeably smoother. so check the line to the vacuum advance. another item is timing should be about 7 btdc (i run the 1983 around 9btdc).

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I second all that ragragtimetime said - the hotter thermostat makes these run better and not too hot - the earlier trucks used to have 180 degree stats for us and 195 for canada - I swapped Geronimo's stat for a 195 and never had a problem with him running. I also run an equivalent platinum version of the NGK and a MSD blaster coil and Nology wires, with the timing at 10 btdc
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Rockford Illinois
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I changed the theromost before winter to the 180 degree one the spark plugs are champion copper core pluse part number 415 they have been in for two weeks and the cap rotor and wires where changed at the same parts store has the stant 45869 theromost going to Chang that tomorrow and check the vacuum lines thanks for the information will let you know what happens after the theromost change

Array
    Status
    Rockford Illinois
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I cross reference the champion 415 plugs and they are equivalent autolite 63 changed the theromost and noticed a big difference in the heat checked the vacuum lines and they looked good couldn't check the timeing because I do not have a timeing light as for the gas mileage don't know if it made a difference going to fill it up tomorrow before work and let you known in a week

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I don't know if this has any application at all to these trucks but Champion copper plugs instead of recommended NGK or Bosch were notorious for destroying heads on Kawasaki motorcycles. Just a thought, take that with a huge grain of salt. I don't know one way or the other. But because of their reputation, I won't use Champion plugs in anything that's not specified for them.

Then again, those old Kwak bikes were finicky and fragile, Mitsu trucks are anything but...
    Last edited by noahwins; 03-08-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Japanese cars and trucks run best with japanese plugs, and champions are garbage - have been for 30 years. I ran autolite plats in Geronimo before switching to NGK plats - made a noticable difference in performance for the better.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Japanese cars and trucks run best with japanese plugs, and champions are garbage - have been for 30 years. I ran autolite plats in Geronimo before switching to NGK plats - made a noticable difference in performance for the better.
    ^^This.

Champion is pure shit lol. Autolite was great at one point in time, but now I see a lot of them have a problem keeping their gap. It tends to expand and waste the plug. NGK or Denso would be a great choice. Don't waste time or money on fancy plugs either. There is no need for them.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I have the '89 4x4 also, with the sports cab. I put a weber 32/36 on it in Dec. after being so impressed with the Weber conversion on the '88. I use a 192 deg. thermostat, NGK BPR5ES-11 plugs with NGK wires and timing about 9 deg. btdc. I'm getting 17-20 miles to the imperial gallon. If you're getting 17 to the American gallon that's not bad for a 4x4. 2.6 litres is a big 4 cylinder. Warm up time will affect your gas mileage. At 15 min. each time, twice a day say, thats 2 1/2 hours of run time, at higher idle, in 5 days, with no distance travelled. I estimate warm up time to be the same as driving 30 mph. I let my truck warm up for about 5 min. After that it will idle fine with the choke off, and it warms up faster driving it than letting it sit and idle. At -20 deg C my transmission oil is like molasses and takes a while to warm up and thin out. This will affect the fuel economy as well.

Array
    Status
    Rockford Illinois
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    How would a spark plug destroy a head ?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by hemi2.6 View Post
    How would a spark plug destroy a head ?
    On Kawasakis at least, the electrodes would melt off or even snap off, dropping chunks of metal into the cylinder, even with correct fuel, timing, heat range and cross-reference plug number. Sometimes the ceramic would fail and crack, leading to severe misfiring or weird short circuits. The threads would expand and seize, even with liberal doses of anti-seize lubricant. All kinds of problems. Something about Champion plugs that Kawasaki bikes really, really did not like. Maybe it was just a bad era for Champion quality control or something and it certainly didn't happen every time someone used Champion plugs but I saw enough online gore photos of the damage done to scare me off the brand forever.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    We used to call the Kawasaki's a Crock-o-Hockey...Hockey being slang for Dung in these parts...

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    They were pretty awful bikes come to think of it...

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    My grandma called them kowalski motorcycles ... kinda fitting...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Rockford Illinois
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I changed out the champion415 to ngk-bpr6e6-11,put a stant 4586d thermostat in added some sta-bil marine ,and I got 16.5 miles per gallon

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    That's pretty good, right?

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    sweet!....according to your first post you are back to your original mpg...now slowly change/check 1 item at a time to become the ultimate hypermiler: ie-don't idle excessively, take off slowly, check tire pressure, check any excessive drag in the driveline/brakes, keep a distance & rarely use the brakes, maintain a steady speed even when cornering (within reason),etc...(you already know all this). you should be able to gain close to another 10 mpg...but that won't be as fun as driving it with the pedal to the floor.

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    1. Is your Weber fuel pressure regulated?
    2. Water tire size do you have, and is the speedo drive gear correct for the tire size?
    3. Does the clutch slip?
    4. City or Highway mileage, or combo?
    5. Running a quality fuel? As in 'no ethanol'? Ethanol fuels do not burn as 'slowly' and non-ethanol fuels and don't have the octane rating equivalent.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    That's right. Fuels with ethanol don't deliver the same gas mileage. The difference is not that much though. Ethanol raises the octane level also. All the regular and mid grade gas around my area has up to 10% ethanol. I think the premium may be ethanol free but if we pay for premium gas to get 3% better fuel economy I think we'd be spending more. I'd say you're right in the ballpark at 16 1/2 mpg. Here's what the gov't says the truck gets.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/6085.shtml

I've been reading about a product called Ethanol Defense. It's claimed to improve performance and economy. Check this out.

http://www.bellperformance.com/testi...f-2757c4742ce8

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Does anyone know what state is the only state that does not put ethanol in their fuel? You have one guess and no cheating, lol.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Being a Canadian, I couldn't name all the states, but I'll guess it's Alaska. They don't grow corn in Alaska.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    its Washington state - for ethanol fuel treatment use Sta-bil Marine ethanol treatment. 1 oz to 10 gallons - good for any gas powered machine. It negates the effects of ethanol and boosts fuel economy. Been running it in all of my vechiles for 2 - 3 years now - I buy it by the gallon to refill the 32 oz bottle I use.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Alaska! we have a winner. Do you know why Alaska is the only state? (hmm, going to go check why , must be a good reason) Corn you say...sounds correct too, the farmers don't win the vote up there.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    and its too far to haul the ethanol to mix with the gas. They are the 50th state, I think...
    Pennyman1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast