Thread: So I need to haul some things, powertrain swap ideas?

Array
    Status
    Michigan
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

So I need to haul some things, powertrain swap ideas?

With my little racing team getting into gear, I need to get my Mighty Max into shape, but I doubt the tired out G63B can handle the work-load. The MAX load it'll (hopefully never have to) haul is roughly estimated at 3100lbs, not including the trailer.

While a 4G63T swap sounds fun, especially since I used to own/rally a 91 Eagle Talon TSI AWD and have a lot of go-fast bits left-over, I'm concerned about it's durability while hauling things.

So are there any Truck Engine/Trans combo's that might fit without too much fuss?

Array
    Status
    Michigan
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I forgot to mention it's a 1988 2wd and I can't find any edit button...

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    You can have access to edit button and be able to sell on the forum or anything else for that matter if you make a donation to the forum between $10 -$25. You will get a cool full length vinyl decal for windshield for the higher donation amount.

You won't find a better forum for these trucks or a better group to help.

Have any of your truck?

Welcome to the forum

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    The V6 that came stock in the 1990 and up 4x4 was super torquey and stout. I had a 5th wheel welded into my bed, and pulled a tri axle gooseneck trailer from Miami to Montgomery, AL with a 580n C Case Backhoe on it. 3 rd gear, 3500 rpm at 50-55 mph w/o stopping except gas. 8 mpg's, and no issues, not even ran hot!
    I also drove it around Baldwin COunty (gulf coast) on jobs until I sold it for 1/2 what I aid for it in 1996 (4800.00 $) with 450,000 miles on it! (It was showing 53,000 as it didn't have the extra digit on odometer). Still ran like new, stock compression, oil pressure etc, NO oil use between Amsoil synthetic changes at 15,000 miles (with analysis), and tranny & rear differential oil changes at 80-100,000 miles, religously.

Best truck I ever owned, IMHO. Wish I could buy another tomorrow..Traded it on my diesel Dodge 96 that has about 450,000 on it as well, just cost 4 times the cost! STops and tows much safer/stable, however! (I had a trailer brake controller and 2 axle brakes on the trailer of course).

I think it could still be running, with the maintainance I did, today over 1,000,000 or 1,500,000+ even. I think the short blocks are identical to the DOHC and turbo blocks, I read somewhere...Can't swear that though..
    Think its a 6 G 72 engine code..Someone on here can clarify that, I'm sure.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    http://6g72rwd.forumcircle.com/index.php

IIRC there was exactly one, fairly uncommon Kia/Hyundai RWD transmission that would bolt on to a 6G7*.

EDIT: Found it. http://6g72rwd.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=53

There may have been also an Australian Toyota transmission off a Supra?

Pay attention to what OldColt says on that board, he's sort of like Pennyman is here. Mr. Encyclopedia.

Surprisingly, the Paxton SN89 supercharger for old Mustangs is a California legal add-on for the 6G72.

http://projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2100