Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Take 3! 1986 Ram Power 50

I think I have a sickness. Either that or i really do have ShitferBrains. I've just purchased my 3rd Ram50 in a year. I simply couldn't turn it down. This is basically the same truck as my 1st gen, only 4wd.
    specs include 5 speed manual transmission, hi-low 4wd with auto locking hubs and factory bucket seats. Unloke my other two, this truck has been used and used well...
    The stock 2.6l went out on the previous owner and he tore it apart. Completely flabergasted by the jet valaves, balance shafts, 2 timing chains and such, he gave up with it in pieces. Now I took advantage and took hit off his hands for a whopping 200 bones.
    THE PLAN: Since I've hit a wall with my 1st gen 2wd build, and lost motivation for it, I've found a way to get it back. I'm going to take my rebuilt 2.6 pit of my 2wd and put it in the power ram. I'm going to get rid of the body blocks, sitting it back on the frame then suspension lift it to accomodate 35" mickey thompsons. Normal paint and interior rebuild included. Pictures to come.
    Now for the 2wd, I'm jumping straight to stage 2 motor... I want a v8 under the hood. I've seen a built 318 fit nicely I to one so that's my first look, but I'll likely talk mtself into the mods to accommodate a chevy 350/th350.
    Here are some teaser pics of the power ram... I've got a lot of work to do.
    Sorry for writing a book but hey, I'm excited.

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    love the chrome side window shades

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    You don't have shitferbrains because you bought a new truck that looks nice and can be brought back on the road. But if you spend all your money and have to move back to mom's basement because of it, well then you have a problem.
    We will protect your secret luv for these damn trucks, we all have taken the oath. One more thing, one thing at a time will save your sole, lol. Great idea on the engine exchange, brilliant idea. Now wait until that's done before you bite a V8 in the arsk!

Very nice 4x4 Mandle, nice to see ya back.

PS, I'll give you $300 for the truck right now, lol. Oh ya, Ragtime he is going to need tail lights , look that that truck on that trailer ,

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Hell yeah! I would have, too! Awesome find!!! Congrats for expanding your collection, hehe.

Array
    Status
    CA, CA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I've been trying to find a body lift kit, would you sell me yours? I got an 86 first gen dodge ram 50 and its stock height but way too low.

I'm already doing a 2 inch suspension beef up, but another few on a body lift would be awesome, i just could find any kit. I'd rather buy what is known to work and fit than hack something together.

PM me

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Okay update time! I haven't done a whole lot on the 4x4 but I've definitely got a start and figured I should share. Been soooo busy lately that I haven't had time to be online much, nor in the shop for my own rigs.
    I pulled a front right fender from my ever expanding Ram 50 parts cache and installed it. I tore off the bent up front bumper and grill. I'm going to order or pull a stock grill from a yard and paint it myself, and I'm having a customer front winch bumper built, using the mounts from the original bumper as a platform.
    I've pulled the original 2.6 and decided to rebuild it. I have a spare head that is just waiting for a block, and this block wasn't in bad shape, so decided not to rob my 2wd 1st gen of its power plant just yet. Block parts ordered, just waiting for the machinist and the block now. I've included a couple of pictures. Excuse my dingy garage, shady camera, and messy organization.... My home garage is never as organized as my shop.
    I have a few other plans for the truck that I'll add some pics of. I bought a set of 12" wide wheels off a toyota buddy. I don't have any pictures yet because they're sitting at my machinist waiting to have the center bored out, but they'll come soon. Right now I'm thinking 35's, but I might just go with 31's... depends on the wheel offset and the fab I'd have to do to have full range of motion in steering.
    I've got some suspension metal ordered. Most of the lift will be fabricated, with the exception of the front springs and of course store bought shocks. Might weld a hoop for mounting above the tire. Tends to give a bit less body roll and then I completely control the height I want to go to, and don't have to depend on blocks or spacers to get there. Still deciding.
    Anywho I'm done typing for now. Here's some pictures.

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Got the head back from the machinist. Just got the camshaft and rockers on, with the initial valve adjustment. Hoping to get the block back in the next couple of days so I can do the rebuild and start re-installation.

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Got my block back from the machinist, prepped and painted.

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    GetAttachment (5).jpgGetAttachment (6).jpgGetAttachment (7).jpg
    I need some advice now guys. I like the red/black scheme. I just can't decide what to do with the remaining pieces? Should I paint the timing cover at all? The head? The valve cover? What colors on each? My header is black, my engine mounts are of course black, engine bay is stock red so.... i don't know what to do on the other pieces.

Array
    Status
    Adairsville ga
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    i would absolutly love to know how you are going to lift your power ram enough for 35s.. I have the same truck and would like to do the same but am haveing a hard time finding anything but body lifts.. al how many inches must the power ram go up to accomadate 35s?

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I'm building the majority of the suspension myself... It won't be a "kit". I'll add a leaf in the rear and create new shackles for the leafs to give me an inch or two of lift. Then I'll move the axle to below the leafs, rather than on top. That will give me another 3.5". Then I'll block it for the last 2" of lift. Total lift will be about 7 inches, with the option to go higher with a bigger block if needed. Then I'll add torsion bars from the frame to the rear axle, obviously beef up the rear shocks, and move to the front. I'll cut out most of the stock front suspension, and just create a solid upper "a-frame" from 2" pipe, and run my shocks and oversized springs from the frame to the A-arm (also known as control arm). Then I control the height by the size of the spring and shock.
    After some adjustment to the steering and possibly drivelines, I should easily be able to accommodate up to 35's with a such a set up.

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Parts came in today! New bearings, seals, rings, rods, pistons, and the full gasket kit. Got my balance shaft elimination done, got the pistons installed, got my pan cleaned up. Cleaning and painting the timing cover tomorrow, installing the head, timing kit and the rest of the gaskets. Hoping to install it in the truck this weekend.

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    HELP!!
    I need an oil recommendation. I have finished the rebuild of my 2.6l for my 4x4 86 ram50, but apparently its calling for a 20w-50, and I've never run anything like that in anything except my motorcycle. Any recommendations for break in or daily use?

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    11178310_10153232820234892_4199577158414648305_n.jpg
    Just the new clutch kit, the Alternator, Power Steering pump, crankshaft pulley, belts, carb and a few other odds and ends to go.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    lookn great!....nice engine stand

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    haha looks familiar.
    Got mine at an estate sale for 3 bucks... haha

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Couple of questions have come up mid build that I'm hoping some of you can help me with!
    I've been struggling with fuel pump ideas. I can get my hands on the well-used Carter p4070 but I've seen some of you complaining about the noise and reliability? Anyone have anything good to say? It meets the specs Pennyman suggested for a non-regulated frame mount pump (72 gph, 5-7 psi)
    I have an electrical fan I've mounted to my radiator with a built in shroud. I have a wiring harness that includes a temp sensor and adjustable temp kick on... I just have no idea where to put the sensor? I lost the package quite a while ago so not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions welcome.
    Lastly, my carb and conversion kit are a bit old... I'm wanting to put new gaskets in it to prevent a much despised vacuum leak, but all I can find is cut it yourself gaskets. Anyone know where you can get the kit for the plates we use in the conversion? I can't find it on the weber site.
    Thanks for any help!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    redline for the weber gaskets, insert sensor into the fins on the rad, and I run a holley on Geronimo - its somewhat noisy too but it doesn't fail - been on Geronimo over 10 years now.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Neither Autozone nor Oreilly's has a part number for a holly that meets the specs that you're recommending.
    I haven't been able to find a redline catalog number that has a number to call in an order, and the online website isn't being very helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast