Array
    Status
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55

Fuel Filter Question

So after changing my timing belt, it seems like the truck isn't getting any fuel. I'm assuming the pump pulley being moved back and forth may have caused some sort of issue (timing apparently isn't a slam dunk on this particular MM). With that being the case, I am planning to try and bleed/verify fuel delivery. In the process of doing that, I realized that I can't seem to locate the manual primer pump that seems to typically be on the fuel filter. Every post I read on here indicates that it's on top of the filter, which is consistent with the pictures I've seen on the web while googling.
    With all that said, I was wondering what this is:
    0223151808d.jpg

Obviously it is what my system is using as a fuel filter, but is that the same filter housing the rest of you guys have? Any idea how I might manually prime that bad boy?

Any input would be appreciated... even if it's to tell me how dumb of a question that is lol.

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    that is the fuel filter housing and manual pump.

to the left is a plastic knob. this is the manual pump. unscrew it, and then you will be able to pull it out and push it in to pump the fuel.

near the top is the bleed screw. This is to let out air and bubbles.

procedure is something like this:

1. put a spanner on the bleed screw and open it about a 1/4 turn.

2. unscrew plastic pump knob and start pumping.

3. you should see fuel with bubbles come out from under the bleed screw when you pump.

4. when you stop seeing bubbles, then tighten the bleed screw.

5. tighten up the pump screw.

On mine, I get a lot of fuel leaking out from the pump itself, which is annoying, but I don't have any way around that. I typically lose about a pint of fuel from around the pump when I try to bleed the system.

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Also, I actually ended up putting clear urethane tubing from the filter to the IP to confirm that fuel was getting to the IP.

Once I was convinced that the IP was getting fuel, that's when I realized that the place you really need to bleed fuel from is in the high pressure lines to the injectors. For that, you basically one by one, crack open the injector connection, turn the engine over until you see fuel start leaking from the connection, and then tighten up the connection to the injector.

Array
    Status
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Beautiful. Thanks Huff, you are a life saver. Lol, I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the pump was on that thing. The images I was able to find online all had the pump on the top of the housing. Excellent idea on the clear tubing, I'll have to look into that. After taking some time to think about how my issues came to be, I also think (haven't confirmed) that the fuel system maybe gelled. Has almost a full tank of diesel with no additive in it and I'm in Michigan, so it's fairly likely that the arctic tundra has taken it's tole on it.

Thanks again.