Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Engine Type

96 Mighty Max Troubles

Just picking your brains here... I have a 96 Mighty Max 2.4 with 199,000 miles that's having some issues. A few mornings ago I walked outside work to warm up the truck before leaving, temp was 2 degrees F. When I started the truck it started making a noise that seemed to be coming from the left side of the engine, sounded as it would if a pulley had gone bad, it only lasted maybe 10 seconds then stopped and the engine sounded normal. After about 30 minutes of warming I took off and noticed the engine vibrating. It felt like a vibration you would get from a bad drive shaft U-Joint or maybe a wheel out of balance at higher speeds, but with the truck stationary in neutral the engine still vibrates. It almost seems to be a little sluggish when driving but nothing too noticable. I drove it home which is 20 miles away and had no problems at all, just the annoying vibration. First thing that came to mind is the balance shaft belt had maybe snapped. Anyway... in 8 degree temps yesterday I took the front end off to check the belt and it was in perfect condition as well as the timing belt, all the timing marks were lined up perfect also. Tensioner pulleys for both belts were replaced 6 months ago with the belts and still feel new. No play in the oil pump sprocket or balance shaft sprocket and all the external pulleys (power steering, AC) checked out. Checked the cam shaft for any damage and it was fine as well. Next plan of attack is tomorrow morning remove the oil pan and see if anything obvious jumps out from undrneath, I think I should be able to see the balance shaft from there and inspect the crank shaft and oil pump. Just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas they'd like to throw out there. Thanks everyone...

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Engine mounts froze and cracked? Must be worn with 200k. WAG.

Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Engine Type
    Tanks for the idea, I didn't think about those being damaged. I'll check them tomorrow before I dig any further into the engine.