Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Got my cylinder head, rods and pistons back

OK guys so I got a non-MCA head and rods and pistons from a fellow member but they had been sitting for years and had lots of surface rust and tiny nicks. So I took them to a neighborhood machine shop and showed the guy what I had. I asked can you clean all of this up (pointing to the rust) and check the head for squareness and valves too. The guy says sure, I'll call in a few days.

One month later I haven't heard anything so I call and check in. He says he hasn't gotten to it and his dad's been in poor health. That's OK, it's the holidays anyway. He'll be in touch.

Another month later, still nothing so I call last week leaving a message that I need my stuff back. The head and pistons are holding the whole truck project back and I want it it of my garage.

Finally this week he calls back and says the head is cherry and everything is good, come pick it up, the bill is $210. So I pick the stuff up and see this on the work bench.

20150220_161528.jpg

Corroded valve cover in the same condition it was in when I dropped it off. Hasn't been touched. The gasket is still on the underside.

20150220_161544.jpg

20150220_161642.jpg

20150220_161611.jpg

Cylinder head, valvetrain, cam after the cleaning. He says I can take my jeweler's file (?) and some Scotch Brite and clean up the rocker surfaces. You can kinda see it but the valve stems and valve springs are covered in rust. Did he even disassemble and check everything?

20150220_161726.jpg

20150220_161721.jpg

He points to these two discolored sections on the mating surface and says "you can go over that with emery cloth."

UC_Photo_003.jpg

He honed the bearing surface and cleaned up the skirts with a file but there's all this rust on the rods. You can't see it in the pic but the whole rod is covered in red rust.

20150220_161953.jpg

The services he performed.

This looks like a rush job he did over the weekend after he got my second message. I thought I was going to get a head back that was ready to go into the truck. But now I have to spend more time disassembling things and cleaning up all this rust. Am I being naive in thinking I was going to get a head and valve cover back that looked like new and ready to go? Should I have been more clear? Am I being too anal?
    Last edited by noahwins; 02-20-2015 at 05:06 PM.