Array
    Status
    yakima, wa
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

mighty max speed run

did a 0-60 run, is this about what you guys are getting?

also got a new exhaust on, I think it doesn't sound too bad!

thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxomXMJ9Q3s

Array
    Status
    CA, CA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    16-20 seconds 0-60.

yeah sounds about right... hahaha.

mine was quicker with the tiny little 14 inch tires, now that I got 15s with fattish tires its a lot slower.

Array
    Status
    yakima, wa
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    yeah these beasts are fast! aha

would a cam be my best bet for some more power? I already got the weber on there, and I want to keep it NA.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    a cam with a header will work well, and a free flowing exhaust.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    I'm gonna have to stay out of this one...:-) cam and header are the cheapest and easiest power upgrades...now Try and find them!

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I heard they can do a buck fifty with some P&P and a turbo.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    I have pondered this for some time. What if...? (money is not a concern)

You had the head done by a super reputable shop that worked in concert with folks at Paxton. (I prefer to go old school with no electronics.) Do what's needed to keep the bottom end together and shoot for 200-250hp at the rear wheels. 38 Outlaw, custom grind cam, custom headers.

My feeling is it would be a blast.

Thoughts?

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    If your getting a cam, you will have to have that dizzy curved too. If your truck is a fun truck instead of a only vehicle, push the cam a little and put some lobe on it, lol. Head work will give your truck some more HP and free up the valve & rocker assembly so you can spin it with your hand easily. You'll need springs with a cam too, stock will not work.

I heard a good leaf blower can make these trucks really fly too, lol. Actually I have pushed my HP up quite a bit from stock and though I'm not ready for time trials at the salt flats like Mike, it does push you back into the seat, ask my wife.

also the cam and header are not to bad to find Mike. Schneider will grind out a cam anyway you like for about $125 and if you don't like it, they will regrind another cam for almost nothing. Headers can be found on the Australian Ebay for about $180 shipped. Distributor curving is a specialty and trial and error could do it or find a good old guy that been doing it for years in his home shop.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by originalowner View Post
    I have pondered this for some time. What if...? (money is not a concern)

You had the head done by a super reputable shop that worked in concert with folks at Paxton. (I prefer to go old school with no electronics.) Do what's needed to keep the bottom end together and shoot for 200-250hp at the rear wheels. 38 Outlaw, custom grind cam, custom headers.

My feeling is it would be a blast.

Thoughts?
    The problem with making high HP on these motors is the horrible and I do mean HORRIBLE intake manifold design, they literally choke the motor down, even with a bigger carb. That's what sent me on the path to getting the dual carb intake manifold for this engine in the first place. Just a wayyyyy more efficient design that flows way better

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    You guys are really making this hard for me...but it's a 2.6...I suggest you look into the Starion/Conquest boards for insight and part's suggestions.
    And Yes, I lean towards the Turbo applications...also remember, when you twist up the HP from the ~116HP stock to ~200-250, other stuff behind the motor breaks, first the clutch, then a new flywheel to go with the clutch, Tranny...

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    With the money you'll spend, drop a V8 and double the HP. I agree with Mike too...the self destruction will start with the next weakest part in the chain. It is not easy to double HP in these 4 cyl. motors.

I'm not too sure our intakes are such a choke point, they are pretty much just open and straight shot to the chambers. Combustion chamber can't pull in enough air in a stroke unless something is shoving it in and or pulling it out like a turbo does. Need RPMs and CFMs. The carb would be more of a restriction then our intake on a 2 barrel application besides not able to run up rpms.

Hot Heads For Cool Cars: Powerful Secrets Revealed
    http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/h...rets-revealed/
    VW.gif

lol
    Last edited by BradMph; 02-24-2015 at 05:40 AM.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    I'm not too sure our intakes are such a choke point, they are pretty much just open and straight shot to the chambers. Combustion chamber can't pull in enough air in a stroke unless something is shoving it in and or pulling it out like a turbo does. Need RPMs and CFMs. The carb would be more of a restriction then our intake on a 2 barrel application besides not able to run up rpms.
    really? you wanna take one look at this thing and tell me it's a straight shot to the chambers? cause i see some HORRIBLE 90 degree dog leg bends and chamber that should be two separate paths being choked down to one. peak of performance airflow and CFM right there....

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Or if you don't care about it being too streetable, forget all of that and go straight to quad bike carbs like the Mikuni flat slides the Triumph guys use or ITBs. Squirting fuel into the Expo 2.4 16V SOHC head, or the Montero Sport 2.4, which is already RWD and makes 150hp stock. Those heads also open up modern turbo manifolds options if you want to go that route.
    Last edited by noahwins; 02-25-2015 at 08:30 AM.

Array
    Status
    yakima, wa
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    thank you

I was thinking the same thing brad mph a dropping a mild v8 in there would be less money than working to get a lot of power out of the motor!

with a lot more on the low end! better sound. and mpg's too

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I picked up a set of the hayabusa carbs to see if I could mod a 2.6 manifold to work with them. That's if I don't put the twin 40 DCOE weber sidedrafts on first...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    intakes.jpg I still don't see a choke point, I see a direction change but not a choke (decrease size).
    That intake you have is a 2nd gen, 1st gen has a less angle change and shorter runners.
    Image above shows 1st gen on the left. Looks pretty good to me. Besides the EGR crap tubing in the cast.

For the other guys...
    Another idea, put some motor cycle carbs on and modify an intake by cutting it in half.
    cycle carbs.jpg
    Last edited by BradMph; 02-25-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymax87 View Post
    thank you

I was thinking the same thing brad mph a dropping a mild v8 in there would be less money than working to get a lot of power out of the motor!

with a lot more on the low end! better sound. and mpg's too
    Example:
    Parts are way cheaper also then our truck stuff. Header for our trucks, $180+ if you can locate one. Anything for our trucks is getting tougher to find and the prices are rising.
    Pair of ford headers, Chrome for a 302 V8 $80.00 and they are everywhere. Ford Mustang is the most after marketed car in the world. Dodge and Chevy are no slouch either.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...aders&_sacat=0

If I have any heavy motor work required on my truck ever again, the motor and trany are history. I'm not rebuilding it again. V6 or V8 will replace it.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    meh.....i prefer the straightest shot i can get.