Array
    Status
    Rockford Illinois
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

idle rough on cold start

I have a 1989 power ram 50 2.6l with a Weber 32/36 dfve carburetor within the last week when I start it idles rough but after it warms up idles fine I checked the high speed idle screw and it is in as far as it goes any ideas on what to check next would be greatly appreciated

Array
    Status
    Rockford Illinois
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Fast idle screw not high speed idle screw

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I had that sort of issue and the screw behind the choke might help, fast idle. What is the rpm's that it idles at? Should be around 1500 to 2000. Make sure your choke isn't closed off to tight or not enough also. It will load up on the plugs and cause it to miss. Mine does it sometimes when it's really cold outside. Check your plugs first and see what's happening. Burning rich or lean, make adjustment after.

Array
    Status
    Rockford Illinois
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Going to change plugs,wires distributor cap and Rotor this weekend I will let you know if it helps

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Have you adjusted the choke spring to ensure the choke works properly? If it is not adjusted right, it will not set and step properly, causing rough idle at startup. When properly set, 1 push of the pedal should close the choke plate, one tap after starting should drop it to the first notch on the cam, then it should step down as the spring warms up. The choke spring is thermally activated - the release of the choke is dependant on how tight the spring is against the choke plate. The screw that rides the choke cam sets the engine speed while the choke is operating. Hope this helps.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Rockford Illinois
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    change the plugs wires and rotors Saturday and that fixed the rough idle probably could have just changed the cap because the contacts had some corrosion on them started it last night when to got off of work and the temperature was negtive five and it purred like a kitten Thanks for everybody's input

Array
    Status
    new york
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by hemi2.6 View Post
    change the plugs wires and rotors Saturday and that fixed the rough idle probably could have just changed the cap because the contacts had some corrosion on them started it last night when to got off of work and the temperature was negtive five and it purred like a kitten Thanks for everybody's input
    I may have a similar issue on my 1983 Ram 50 Sport 2WD 2.6L G54B engine auto trans California emissions.
    It sat in the garage unattended for a while. I emptied the fuel tank, replaced fuel filter, old fuel was orange color, put new fuel w/ fuel cleaner.
    Likely more issues with carb, contacts, cap, rotors. Denso spark plugs look ok, compression 135/135/140/130 cylinders 1-4, wires look ok.

Suspecting that a carb rebuild is in order, the old fuel most likely messed it up. I have one NOS MITSUBISHI-MOPAR-1981-86 SOLEX 32-35DIDTA 2BBL Carburetor Kit, concerned that it might be previous to E85 fuels & not having being made for them.
    More suggestions on what to look for ?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Buy a rebuilt carb and be sure to install & test it before the return date or warranty expires ~ you can try a DIY rebuild too but replace every rubber part diaphrams O rings the works & make sure the main ECM harness connector to the carb is sqeeky clean & dry NO SILICONE OF ANY TYPE adjusting these carbs the rods the wires etc I never tried that yet but I FINALLY found the idle speed screw REPLACE & LEAK TEST the float 1987 plastic factory floats fit the earlier carbs too Mikes Carburetors has them
    Good Luck and the original rubber diaphram fuel pump might be suspect too USE NON ETHONAL gas to preserve your new or rebuilt work
    Look @ my Mikuni rebuild photo albums
    Last edited by xboxrox; 01-20-2024 at 06:41 PM.
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive