Array
    Status
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Weber Carb + Colorado Emssions

Just curious if anyone here has had any luck passing emissions in CO with a weber carb?

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    I live in NC, not Colorado, so I have to assume a few things. You may get a Colorado user that runs a Weber to chime in with his experience. Maybe, maybe not. But what I say will hold true for most 49 state emissions laws.

Does Colorado "sniff" exhaust gases? This is pretty critical. Do they stick a probe in the tailpipe to measure NOx, hydrocarbons, etc? Or do the devices just need to be in place? The reason I ask is because of what your state law may require. In NC, they do not 'sniff' anymore. They hook up to the OBD diagnostic port and if the emissions devices are all working, you pass. Simple as that. That's fine for newer vehicles OBDII onward. Howeva...as you know an 87-89 does not have a test port- you have what is known as what I call "OBD .5" or the most primitive emissions electronics there are. It dates back to the old "socket box" testers that counted the flashes on the tester to give you a code. (I give you this background automotive history because you may not know.) Anywho no shop that I know of except those in Cali use or have a socket box tester anymore. It's just defunct technology.

All that said, if you have the cat in place, have a healthy motor, (not burning oil) you should be OK. You may have to lean the crap out of it to pass, but just richen it back up once you have passed. I saw comments from a AZ user who said that's what he had to do.

I live in NC, so all the devices including the cat have to be in place. They don't have to work, but they have to be in place. Makes sense, don't it? I have to go through this bullshit until the truck is 35 years old. You laws in CO may be different.

Array
    Status
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks for all you input originalowner! This will be the first vehicle I've ever had to put through emissions si I'm not familiar with the process, tools and tests they perform. As it currently sits in CO, any vehicle produced in 1975 or earlier is exempt from emissions. I'll take a closer look today at what they check for.

Array
    Status
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Here's the info I got from Air Care Colorado:

[top]What Types of Tests Done?

On-board diagnostics (OBD) - non driving, plug-in test
    Every vehicle built for sale in the United States since model year 1996 comes equipped with on-board diagnostics (OBD). This feature helps to determine problems with vehicles, allowing for quicker repairs and improved performance.
    Air Care Colorado tests the following components of a vehicle's OBD system:

• "Check Engine" light
      The primary way a vehicle's OBD system communicates. Inspectors check to make sure the light bulb and circuit are functioning properly.

• Command status
      Inspectors check to see if the OBD system detects any emissions-related problems and if possible commands the "Check Engine" light to turn on.

• Diagnostic trouble codes
      These codes can describe the exact issue(s) a vehicle is experiencing.

I/M 240 Dynamometer - driving, treadmill-type test

The vehicle is placed on large rollers and a four-minute road simulation test is performed while the vehicle is being "driven."
    These vehicles, if equipped with OBD systems, are also tested using the OBD plug-in test. However, the OBD test is advisory only. If the OBD system test detects problems, through diagnostic trouble codes or a lit "Check Engine" light, it will be noted on the Vehicle Inspection Report, but the vehicle will not fail for an OBD problem alone.
    If a vehicle passes the I/M 240 but had an OBD Advisory Fail, it is wise to promptly seek further diagnosis and repairs to improve vehicle performance, save money, avoid failing the next emissions inspection and prevent more serious problems.

Idle Test

Vehicles model year 1981 and older receive an idle test.

Alternative tests

Sometimes either the required OBD or I/M 240 tests can not be performed due to a variety of issues including, vehicle configuration, a problem preventing the vehicle’s computer from communicating with the test equipment, the vehicle not being "ready" to be tested, or the vehicle being randomly selected to receive an alternative test to ensure the quality of the various inspection types. Therefore, alternative I/M 240 or OBD inspections may be performed.

Gas Cap Test

A properly functioning gas cap is an essential part of the vehicle's emissions control system. A missing or leaking gas cap will cause the vehicle to fail the emissions inspection. A full retest is required when the vehicle fails initially for a missing or defective gas cap. Replacing the gas cap will affect the vehicle's emissions control capability and may increase its tailpipe emissions.

Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I know Im a little late,
    I have passed CO emissions with my weber carb. I had to run smaller jets and modify my original air cleaner to fir the weber so that I could hook up my EGR valve.

Array
    Status
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpenter456 View Post
    I know Im a little late,
    I have passed CO emissions with my weber carb. I had to run smaller jets and modify my original air cleaner to fir the weber so that I could hook up my EGR valve.
    Better late than never, right!? I actually have the smaller jets (for altitude) and that didn't help pass emissions (surprisingly). If your interested, you can see more on this thread http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...iled-Emissions