Array
    Status
    Chatsworth, GA
    Vehicle

1982 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T

Evo 8 troubles

1st post here. I've got a truck I'm working on that had an evo8 swapped into it. The old engine was pulled and scrapped due to a broken rod and block. There is an evo 8 pullout ready to drop back in the truck.

The issue I'm having is the old engine was scrapped with the motor mount brackets. Whatever the old setup was that was used was used with the oem mighty max mounts on the frame.

From threads I've seen 90-92 dsm eclipse/laser/talon bracketry works with factory truck mounts.

My question is will these bolt to the late model evo 8 block? Or would I need to source another models, or custom? All help appreciated. Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. That's a bummer the engine mounts weren't salvaged off the block. It'll need custom engine mounts - AFAIK there aren't any OEM mounts that will line up with supports on the 4B11 block. Only way to be sure is grab some brackets from an Eclipse etc and measure them up.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Chatsworth, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Eclipse or related brackets is what I was going to try to snag, I just wanted to see up front if they may line up with existing thread/hole patterns on the outside of the evo block. I'm in a spot though to where I'll have to purchase them online though. I dont have any way to get any locally at the moment to test fit beforehand. Fingers crossed, though.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    4B11 is something different for a RWD swap too - especially in a truck. Difficult to set up in comparison to the 4G63, but it has a bunch of significant advantages in weight reduction and power development through the Mivec system. Got any pics of the engine installed?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Chatsworth, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    No, there are no install pictures. I can get some of it uninstalled tomorrow. This truck belongs to a 3rd party individual. It's in the hands of a second, and I've been called in to help that person button it back up. It was disassembled over 2 years ago by someone else that is unreachable. To my knowledge, he pulled the engine for the owner after finding the damage and I'm not sure whose idea it was to throw away the old block. I'm not sure if it had other parts swapped for earlier dsm pieces such as accessories or not. And there is no way for me to find out yet.

What I do know is that it was set up in the factory mount location and the firewall is heavily beaten in the rear. It's already got the wiring harness in, evo 8 seats, cluster, etc. Inside and previously ran for the owner. The swap was done by a prior owner that I have no way to contact either. The truck was taken in on a trade, and then grenaded. Not sure how, I didnt ask. It's a factory evo 8 though, with an evo 9 slightly larger turbo. The rest is stock besides somenaeromotive fuel system pieces and injectors. Also have no clue what kind of tune is in it.

I come from a sbf/4.6/sbc/lsx/ small block mopar background. These engines and swap vehicles I'm not up to date on.

Array
    Status
    Chatsworth, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    It's looking like Montero sport 2.4 brackets are what is needed.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Ah, ok. Looks like it was the early 4B11's that had issues (mostly stretched timing chains going from info on the forums and a factory recall on the serpentine belt) You have to either cut and box the firewall around the rear of the head to clear the CAS, or, beat the crap out of it with BFH. Something you have to do even if it was using the 4G63 twin cam.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Happy Birthday Intenseblue

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    If I recall correctly the Evo 8 still used the 4G63-T, not the 4B11. That one didn't show up in an Evo until the Evo 10, at least here in the States. I know people on here have swapped some other front wheel drive motors into these trucks, you may be able to find something from one of those threads that might work without having to do full custom mounts, though I see now that you found some 2.4 mounts.

Array
    Status
    Chatsworth, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Happy Birthday Intenseblue
    Thanks for the birthday wish!

Array
    Status
    Chatsworth, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I've not sourced any, just seen that they work. It's not the rubber mount that's the concern. It previously used and will be using now the factory mighty max mounts that bolt to the frame of the truck. The issue is how the engine block from the transverse mounted EVO, now being 90 degree turned to the rwd position will bolt to those mounts. The factory brackets are one piece units with the mount built in but with 4 point locations to a car frame mounted sideways. I need brackets that bolt to the block that will rest perfectly on ei th er side of the mighty max mounts/ frame location.

From what I've read its montero mounts. I was initially curious if factory mighty max block brackets would bolt to the EVO block and still put me in a correct location. I dont have the old brackets or factory brackets to mock. Still haven't sourced any, I've been busy with tons of other things.

I may need to to read another swap thread or three for about the 6th time, lol! Cant help but feel like I'm over complicating the situation seeing as this isnt a major issue in any of the other swaps. It's almost entirely glossed over it seems which is shocking.

Array
    Status
    Chatsworth, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    The Montero brackets are mentioned to avoid beating out the firewall. Thatd done already on this truck. I'm wondering now if factory mighty max brackets were able to bolt to the Evo8 block.

This goes back to the origin of the first post. Would the bolt holes threaded in the sides of the block be the same or different from block to block

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    evo8-truck swap very rare
    no DSM brackets have any role in rwd swaps
    what gearbox bolted up ?
    Best bet may be bolt drivetrain together, rest in and see where block holes are with respect to truck rubber
    That'd give you an idea of what shape brackets you need. Gearbox rear mounting should remain unchanged
    Must be frustrating chasing rabbits, in unfamiliar territory when you're extremely busy
    good luck

Array
    Status
    Chatsworth, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    It's a km132 trans. As best I can tell it's original to this truck.

I've called a local fab shop about it if montero or mighty max brackets wont work. Gonna try to order some this weekend with fingers crossed.

The shop is top end fabrication in rossville ga. If any of you guys are in the north ga southern tn area. Awesome group of guys with extensive fabrication work directed towards race cars.

Thanks for everyone's help and input. I'll report back with findings good or bad. If I can remember I'll get some pics up. I may be able to add some info to the sticky thread as I go.