Array
    Status
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Not starting unless jumped

I have a 1994 2.4L Mighty Max. It was running fine last week until I left town for a long weekend. I recently replaced the alternator, and i checked the battery (99% charge), but i cannot figure out why it is not starting. If i jump it, the engine will start just fine. I removed the terminal connectors, and then placed them back on. When i did this the hazards worked. once i tried to start it, i could hear the solenoid click, but the starter never clicked over. and when i tried the hazards again to see if they were still getting power, they never turned on, and instead i heard a very fast clicking/ratchet sound. I have no idea why it is not starting. and i am very thankful for any suggestions.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Arrgh. Sounds frustrating.

I heard the first thing to do with any electrical type problem is check *every* fuse and check *every* ground. Try that first?

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I agree with noahwins...clean & use di-electric grease to verify excellent ground.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V6
    What is the battery is @ 99% charged? Need to know the actual voltage of the battery.
    What you're saying is, when you jump the truck and leave the jumper cables on the battery it runs fine and dies instantly when you disconnect the jumpers? You're describing the clicking sound of a dead battery and a bad alternator.
    YES, you can buy a new bad alternator Here's how to test a alternator.
    When the engine is running you should be able to disconnect the battery and the engine will continue to run, If an alternator is bad the engine will die.
    Can you use that battery your jumping off of in your truck to test your alternator? Just connect it, start it up and disconnect the ground or positive terminal.

Array
    Status
    Newton Grove, NC
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I believe you need a new battery. I had this same problem, bad cells in the battery even though it read a full charge.