Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

differential question. please help

Hello everyone, I have a 2wd MM and every time i accelerate from a stop I hear a LOUD PING!! And now when i am cruising i hear a metallic noise i dont know how to explain it. Anyways i checked my universal joints for play, one is good and the other not so good...but that is not what i am worried about , when i was rotating the driveshaft i discovered there was play in the diff. . so im wondering if anybody knows what the problem is? Do i have to replace the whole diff or iis there a piece I have to replace in the diff housing. Im not familiar with differentials. Any help is appreciated!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    how much play and in which direction - side to side or in and out? Is the driveshaft 1 piece or 2 - if 2 the carrier bearing could be bad.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    One piece. When i lift the drive shaft closest to the diff there is a tiny amount of play and i believe it is from the universal joint, but that is not what i am worried about. My worry is when i rotate the drive shaft there is play before the diff starts rotating. I've been reading about diff's and I learned that there is suppose so be a certain amount of play, but something is obviously wrong with my drive train because every time I acceleratei I hear a very loud pi ng.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    did you check the level and condition of the oil in the rear end? How much play do you have when you turn the driveshaft, and do you get noise when you rotate it by hand? Is it an auto or manual?
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    A constant metallic noise sounds like a bearing. If you can get the truck up on a hoist, and, with the truck running, have someone operate the accelerator and brake for you, you could listen for your noises. You may never hear those noises turning the shaft by hand. I've had metallic noises come from rusty brake drums but its hard to pinpoint from the drivers seat.

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Thank you guys for the help, i appreciate it! Ive been researching, diff noises and none of them match my noise. For example, my noise is a very loud ping. It sounds like a quarter hitting a post for a chain link fence. But everything i have read states the diff will make more of a "clunk" sound and not a ping. So I'm praying my diff is fine. I know my clutch needs to be changed, so I'm hoping the noise is coming from the clutch system and is replaceable .

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    1: Stop "guessing" what the problems might be. Stop "researching" probable failures. They are not specific to every single vehicle and they do not group everything into one cause.

2: You have found a problem - the U-Joint. REPLACE IT! The U-Joint will make all kinds of sounds and those sounds will echo and resonate within the driveshaft because its nothing more than a hollow tube. You can't diagnose multiple problems all at once. You must solve them one at a time.

3: Play in the diff (back and forth) is normal to a certain extent. It's called Backlash. You can't really get a feel for it by twisting the driveshaft if the u-joint is trashed because the driveshaft is moving more than it is supposed to anyway which creates an excessive "feel" for backlash. Technically, it's not even a recommended way to check it... at all.

Everything you described screams u-joint, especially since you confirmed it. It will ping and grind every time you roll. Replace the u-joint and follow up here if there is still a problem.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    These are All great ways to check for the issue your having, Time to get down and dirty and try them.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I think the ping you are hearing is the bed you join. Sometimes they make a creaking noise to a loud ping. The creaking noise is normally more prevalent when starting out from a dead stop. The ping is from torque wind up on the drivetrain and that U joint has a broken bearing. Or is real dry on Grease.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    I take it "bed you join" is some type of code for bad u-joint?
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by lush90 View Post
    I take it "bed you join" is some type of code for bad u-joint?
    That's pretty good Lush, I would of never figured that one out for the life of me,

You must have a book titled Camoit's Slang deciphered.

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Merrill, your right. Its time to start the process of elimination. I have an exedy clutch kit already so i just need a u-joint, transmission gaskets, gear oil, and some ofmy buddies tools. Haha welli will let you guys know how it goes. I might take some pics along the way, if anyboy is interested. Its about time I get some pics on here! Anyways thanks again guys, and as always.....i appreciate it!!

Array
    Status
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Hey MrMitsu, I PM'd you but did the U joint's end up fixing the pinging noise or was it something else?