Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T

Alternator help.

Hey guys I have a 88 Mighty max with a Starion 2.6 turbo and need some help on hooking up the alternator back up. I am using the Starion alternator and I just have the two factory wires from the Max with female connectors on each wire. Can you tell me looking at the back of the alternator what wire goes where? I have one white wire and one blue wire. I believe looking at the back of it on the truck that they are horizontal like this I I and I don't know which one goes where. Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Which of these does yours look like. Check the plugs in the back and make sure your alt fan is internal. These alts came in the Mitsubishi Van also.

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    It is like the one on the left.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Which of these does yours look like. Check the plugs in the back and make sure your alt fan is internal. These alts came in the Mitsubishi Van also.

Its the one on the right.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Sorry I just noticed I had posted earlier the one on the left. Its the one on the right.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    ahhh, ok. Well we all know that thick battery wire goes to the bolt end with the nut lock down. Be sure to rubber boot that bolt because if you touch it with a tool it will shoot sparks like an arc welder.
    Now I own an 86 truck, so I had to change to the newer style plug to make the alt fit the electrical. But I think the colors are the same on yours. See the plug's clip where it locks into the female plug, be sure yours shows the same when wiring. I am surprised to that the 88 plug isn't identical to the alts plug on the right. When I changed my plug to fit the new alt, I used an 87 plug and it fit the alt perfectly.
    One is black and one is green, shown on the image below. The fat one goes on nut like I mentioned above. Be prepared for brighter headlights and if you have a volt meter in your truck it will show a much higher reading. That's OK,
    alt.jpgwire.jpg
    if your truck isn't showing a charge, simply reverse the plug wires. It will not hurt anything unless you put that fat wire from battery on a ground.

For your own good, go to this link here and download a Free manual for your truck. Save it on computer and it will give you more help too.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...er-Source-Info
    Last edited by BradMph; 02-01-2015 at 08:17 PM.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    That's exactly what I needed to know. I was afraid if I put the wrong wires in the plug I might short something out. I would just like to say thank you so much for all the info.