Thread: Possibly buying 1994 Max this weekend...

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Possibly buying 1994 Max this weekend...

I've looked over the boards a few times and wanted to get a few opinions on whether or not I should buy a 1994 Max. I'm looking for a cheap smaller pickup to get back and forth to work and use as a light hunting vehicle. I've found one locally:
    1994 Might Max
    2.2 4cyl
    2wd
    body is in good condition (live in Iowa so rust is always present to a degree) and it appears to run/shift well

The seller is asking $1,200 but hasn't sold it in 2 months. What's a fair price? I've reviewed the sticky going over what a new owner should check and I'll look at these items before I make the purchase tonight/tomorrow.

Will a 2wd be sufficient in light-moderate snow?

How difficult is it to change the timing belt? I'm fairly competent with engines.

Any advice, tips, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Your thread fell through the cracks. Update? And welcome.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by 94max515 View Post
    I've looked over the boards a few times and wanted to get a few opinions on whether or not I should buy a 1994 Max. I'm looking for a cheap smaller pickup to get back and forth to work and use as a light hunting vehicle. I've found one locally:
    1994 Might Max
    2.2 4cyl
    2wd
    body is in good condition (live in Iowa so rust is always present to a degree) and it appears to run/shift well

The seller is asking $1,200 but hasn't sold it in 2 months. What's a fair price? I've reviewed the sticky going over what a new owner should check and I'll look at these items before I make the purchase tonight/tomorrow.

Will a 2wd be sufficient in light-moderate snow?

How difficult is it to change the timing belt? I'm fairly competent with engines.

Any advice, tips, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    So this truck fell through but wanted to see if anyone could answer a question about a D50 I found locally.

1988 D50 with 130k, 4x4, 2.9 carb engine. Everything about the truck is great EXCEPT 5th gear is out.
    What could cause just 5th gear to go out? What sort of headache would I be buying if I purchase the truck?

Any advice is appreciated. I love these little trucks and can't seem to find one locally so I'm hoping this one will work out.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    So the truck from my first post was sold before I could get back to the seller. I did find one more locally though.

1988 D50, 130k, 4x4, 2.6L carb engine. Everything is awesome about the truck except that 5th gear is out.

How hard is this to fix? How much of a headache would I be buying?

Thanks in advance,

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Those 2.6 5 speed transmissions (KM145) are supposed to be weak and undesirable. Which means it might be easy to find another one for not much money. Would probably cost the same or less than replacing or repairing whatever's wrong with it.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    thanks for the info. I've been reading as much as I can all day. Haven't found a used trans within a few hundred miles of my location, Des Moines Iowa. I know a guy who rebuilds them though so that may be a possibility.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Things happen for a reason, and this other truck will probably work out better for you. There are resources for your parts if you require used big ticket items. Googling things is a great start, using RockAuto.com, car-part.com, ebay.com and craigslist are other places to put in your favorites list for truck stuff.
    Try to keep your cost down and quality up with parts. Stay away from China shipped parts unless they are definitely shown to have quality.
    If you have a build going, post it and give us some pictures too. We like to see things.

Welcome to the forum and keep us informed about your questions. BE sure to grab a free manual if you need to check on working on the truck.