Array
    Status
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

87' Ram 50 emission problems

Hello all, I just bought this truck and i'm trying to get emissions passed so I can register and tag the car.

my Carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons are both high.

took it to a few places and they replaced the o2 sensors and cat but its still not helping i guess.

Numbers from emissions:

Hydrocarbons: 8.75 (suppose to be no higher than 3.00)
    Carbon Monoxide 150.88 (suppose to be no higher than 25.00)

and I failed the pressure test. possible leak on fuel tank?

I have done a little research. maybe its the erg valve?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    It looks like it's running very rich. It's a pain in the neck but trace ALL of the vacuum lines, including the ones inside the box on the fender and make sure there are no leaks. Feel and compress the hoses to check for for cracks and brittleness, don't just look. There should be a vacuum diagram under the hood. It looks like spilled spaghetti. Did the shops do a tune up? I don't know of you have a 2.0 or 2.6 but set timing to spec on the underhood label. Replace PCV and clean the EGR (that's for NOx but do it anyway). The rubber around the gas cap to the tank can get brittle. If you can, lift up the bed and see if there are any cracked fuel lines or loose clamps.

Oh yeah, if it's the stock carb, check for leaks. That tends to happen. What are the laws with aftermarket carbs in AZ?

Follow CamoIt's sticky for the New Owner tune up. It's at the top of the Member Introductions forum.

Array
    Status
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I have a 2.0. I just hopped around a few more shops.
    basically they are telling me I need the carb rebuilt.

problem is like everyone else I don't have a whole lot of money.

shop quoted me $270 for a rebuild. not bad I guess. maybe i could find a used one or something?

I believe the shop did a tune up. i'm not even joking, I went down there this morning and the cops had the place roped off so...ya no go for that shop.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    A leaky carb can definitely create a rich condition. The carbs on the trucks are pretty bad. If you want to keep it bone stock, rebuild it. I don't know what the emissions rules are but another option is replacing it with a Weber and dial the jetting in for emissions. But that would remove the thermostatic air cleaner, the EGR and the pulse air pump ehich could make your emissions even worse. I don't know the legality of that. The simplest and probably safest option is rebuilding it. $270 is a lot but it's less than a Weber. Get a warranty on the rebuild if you can.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Rebuild won't last, Stock Mikuni carbs almost need a scientist to rebuild those things and as Noah Mentioned, the weber is a great choice and problems are gone for good. You can get one from $250-$300 complete. This depends on your state laws concerning carb replacements.

Array
    Status
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    well my only thing is i just need to some how lean out the mixture so i can get a waiver and worry about fixing it later. numbers can be no more than 2x the amount and im about 6x

if i rebuild the carb. i have read other people stories (although different scenarios) who rebuild the carb. it still doesn't help with lowering CO.

side note. anyone know how to get codes from ECU?

Array
    Status
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ok took it to another shop. they tell me the carb DEFINATLY need a rebuild/rethread.

also my fuel tank has a leak on top, either the roller valve or seals/grommet or both!

anyone direct me toward a "how-to" for taking off the carb?

also where would i find the seals.grommet and/or a roller valve for cheap?