Thread: New MightyMax 4x4 owner, thinking I got a steal!

Array
    Status
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

New MightyMax 4x4 owner, thinking I got a steal!

Just picked up an 1985, 4x4 Mighty Max, 168,000 miles, running great-for $750. Has seen a couple of trees but overall the body is fairly straight for the age. Has some nice Toyota stock wheels with auto hubs, but I need some fresh rubber. Only mechanical related issue is what seems to be vapor lock, any tips on that or related issues would be appreciated. Looking forward to coming here for info, seems like a neat forum. I will get a pic up of the little beast tomorrow when there is daylight.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    give us more details on issue...it has original carb?...& yes we need pictures

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Hey Yergz, Washington as you know has your truck exempt from smog test. If you can't remedy your carb issue, you have a reliable update known as a Weber carb that is very reasonable and gives the old truck more get up and go.

Welcome to the Forum fellow Washingtonian

Array
    Status
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I think that it is indeed the original carb, probably will update it when I have some time to fiddle. I am fairly confident that vapor lock is what is going on, as it is only when the engine is fairly hot. Cold start no problem at all.

Already gave her new plugs, distributor, rotor and wires this past weekend and she runs quite well. Also the EGR light is on, so pulled that and gave it a good cleaning-still on but not going to worry too much about it.

And has promised, here is a photo of the thing! Brand new Hankook snow tires going on tomorrow that I got for a steal on craigslist (for all of the snow we definitely have in WA right now)

IMG_0332.jpg

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    did you clean the sub-egr on the carb as well?...looks like the passenger wiper jumped a spline (easy fix)...do you know who is the manufacturer of the pushbar?...& do you have more pics of the pushbar? wish i never let mine go

Array
    Status
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    @ragrag- I did not, I will have to check that out as well. Going to be getting to the fuel filter as well and need to check out the fuel lines to see if I can stop the vapor lock. Not sure on the brand of the pushbar, but I can look and see if I can find out for you. That is quite the little fleet you have there!