Array
    Status
    Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Help with 4d55 Timing belt timing

Ive been slowly swapping a 4d55 into my 84 d50 that has a 2.6 in it. Engine did run prier to be pulled from the donor truck, just not well due to needing a headgasket. Tried to start it today and i cant get it to run. I have replaced the headgasket and timing belts. in the process im sure the injection pump got turned. the cam and crank could have, but im pretty sure they didnt. All the timing marks lined up, all lines bleed till fuel appeared. still didnt fire. little starting fluid and it just fired out the intake. This made me suspect the cam and pump were 180 degrees off. so i flipped them 180 and still nothing. little starting fluid, and again fired out the intake. Im thinking the timing is incorrect on the cam or the pump, or both. Is the 4d55 like a gas engine, the cam and or injection pump can be 180 off? i assume so, its been a long day so everything is a little fuzzy as far as the operations of 4 stroke cycle, timing and such.

So basically now, the line have been bled, probably should do more. and the timing marks will all line up.

How do i know if the cam, pump, and crank are properly in time and not 180 degrees off? aside from the timing marks, like watching the valves etc. Any help would be great!

Array
    Status
    hartford ct
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Shogun
    Engine

4D55-T
    there is a pdf covering the motor online, i think it is here somewhere or google mitsubishi 455 pdf. the timing belt needs to be put on and tensioned correctly to keep the pump timing correct. its pretty easy if you follow the manual. did the timing marks line up after you cranked it? is it cold in the garage where the truck is? how are the glow plugs?

Array
    Status
    reno, nv
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    you line up the marks on timing belt A to get Cylinder 1 at top dead center.
    you then line up timing belt B to time inj pump and vavles.

anyone know exactly how to do the tensioner on timing belt B, if you get the right tension on the belt do you lock the 2 bolts in place? the book said to back off like 1/4turn... my thoughts are if the bolts are loose over time vibration with back them out. but if you tighten the bolts and check belt tension like once a month would that be more safe?

Array
    Status
    reno, nv
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I have that manual pdf to email if you cant find it