Thread: new member

Array
    Status
    kings mountain, nc
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8

Hey guys im new here i have a 87 dodge ram 50 that my grandpa bought brand new and gave to me when i was 13 im bout to start working on it to drop a 406 chevy small block in it and looking for ideas on what would work best

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    406 is a small block...? lol will it fit or is there going to be a big scoop on the hood. Have you checked the weight ratio to horsepower with your build. You may go faster with a 327 or even smaller. I'm not speaking with experience from an install...I just see smaller V8's going into these trucks and members modding them to be very fast. So far I have not seen anything over a 340 yet.
    Check your fits and, bell housing hump will need to be tweaked, check steering gear, brake booster locations, frame fabricating. Done right takes quite a lot of work.
    Anyway, someone with a V8 will probably chime in and give you better advise them me. They can tell you if it will work or if it will be too much work.

Welcome to the forum and be sure to create a thread, post photos as you go...we like photos.

Array
    Status
    kings mountain, nc
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    Thanks and yea a 406 is a chevy 400 small block bored .030 over and all chevy small blocks are the same size just different bores and strokes and with what im building im planning on roughly 450 horsepower and close to that if not more in tourque and as far as the moding i enjoy the challange lol

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    What you should do is get your thread going when you start on the build. Take photos, cause we like to see the stuff and download them into the forum on your post. This will get the fish biting in here, lol. Something about pictures posted, it's like a earthworm to a bass here. You can let the thread sit during slow build periods and it will still be here.
    As you build, we all watch and pass through them and comment and whatever. We have a great crew here and a ton of documentation, free manuals, and experienced friendly members that enjoy giving their experience. Every build is going to be different as yours will be as well.
    You can check thread builds on Fordubishi, Rick Dees, Camoit, and more, whom all went over the edge on swops and fabrications
    Usually people come through a thread within 24 hours, but lately we have been getting an increase in members that seems to be snowballing.
    Get your camera, get your tools, torch, drawings and find a place to park your thread and open your garage at home and go for it. If you hit a wall, ask. Could take a year or more depending on time spent. Some go on for longer. That'll give you time to get to know folks and them to get familiar with your ideas.

Array
    Status
    kings mountain, nc
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    I plan on starting my build thread today and ill be posting pics for sure

Array
    Status
    kings mountain, nc
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    I have posted pics of my truck in my other thread if you want to check it out