Status
    portland, OR
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Weber tuning issues

Hello
    I am Lorne and I am new to the forum. I have a 1985 Mighty Max 4x4. I just put a brand new head on and installed a weber conversion. Tuned the weber by ear. I am having a couple issues.

1. I cannot seem to get the electronic choke to work. The Weber instructions say to tap the pedal twice fast then turn the key over and it will engage the electronic choke. If I let the truck set a couple days, it takes quite few pumps two at time before it will fire up. Any ideas?

2. When it is warmed up, in time correctly, and then when I hit full throttle it falls on it face. The further I advance the distributor it gets better but will ping on the freeway and pre detonate! Any ideas?

Thanks for for the help in advance! I Love this little truck it has 126k original miles and is a great fishing rig and 4x4!

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    are you reading voltage @ the choke? is the fuel pump stock...or filter clogged. also check for sufficient air intake & any vacuum leaks.

here is an older issue maybe it will help:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...hp?albumid=316
    Last edited by ragragtimetime; 01-18-2015 at 04:34 AM.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    For the first issue - loosen the 3 screws on the choke spring on the side of the carb - turn it to have the choke plate close completely. Pump the pedal once, and it should drop to the 1st step of the choke cam, and the choke plate should open slightly. As the choke warms up, it will step down the cam until it is fully off - speed of choke opening is that choke spring adjust - if it opens too soon, add more tension to the choke. If you have the G63b motor, did you install the timing belt correctly - the manuals are wrong - see the threads on timing belt install. Also second on the fuel filter and pump - for a weber you really need to run an electric fuel pump - the mechanical pump can cause problems with a weber.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I will throw a voltage meter on the choke, I have not tried that and check the fuel filter, I just changed it however it does sit for months in the summer, the fuel pump is stock! I have no vacuum leaks and the conversion came with a top placement K&N filter that is new! Thanks for the help and link!

Array
    Status
    portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Pennyman1 you were correct I lossened the screw and adjusted the choke. The truck runs like a champ now. I will have to check the timing and fuel pump and get back to you guys. Sure runs great though. Thanks for thr help.

Lorne