Array
    Status
    Laramie, Wyo
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Free pickup? You bet!

My wife's boss had this, and he honestly just wanted it gone. Needed the garage space more than the pickup he said. Get it out of here he said. It's too hard to find a mechanic who knows how to work on carburetors he continued, and it's used so rarely that it failed to start the last several times he tried.

So I hooked it up to my trusty XJ Cherokee and dragged it home, and about an hour later I was cruising around in it! It already has the Weber carb, new tires, and only 68k on the clock.

I have gotten a lot of great info from this site, but I do have one question. It's an 89, vin E so it has a 2.6, but is it a sport model? Nothing says sport like a pink splash...but I'm not sure.

Thanks from Laramie, Wyo!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    thought I had the answer in my newly acquired 1989 manual, but the 3rd and 4th pages with that info is missing from the manual. There is a section on here that has 216 manuals - look in there. Welcome to the forum.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Your going to have nothing but problems with that, better sell it to me for $100 before it sucks your wallet away.

Beautiful truck! Welcome to the forum.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    nice try, but no cigar. Any "free " vehicle I ever got was in need of lots of work - my Dad's old 1988 Ram 50 sportcab I got it for free and paid wayyyyyy to much for it...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Now that's clean. I've never seen those gnarly, bodacious graphics either. What a score!

Array
    Status
    Laramie, Wyo
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I agree that there's no such thing as a "free" anything. After I bought tags and oil change stuff...I've got about $100 in it.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V6
    Well aren't you blessed this week, all things happen for reason. Even if you have to put a grand in it.
    That's a nice truck.
    My wife worked for a elderly lady for 22 years, she took to my youngest son as a grandchild. Bought the wife a new van and converted the garage attached to home into bedrooms then built me a bigger garage out back. Then gifted it to us... all of it couldn't have come by just chance.
    Honestly and obviously it was done out of love.
    Your going to like that truck!

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    amazing garage find!!! congrats on that time piece!!

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You got a smokin' deal there. Nice truck. I believe the sport model had the roll bar and colour matched grille and bumpers.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Lets check out the NADA used truck price value on this...
    1989 Mitsubishi 4WD Pickup.

Values

.....................Original.....Low....Average.. .High........
    ......................MSRP......Retail....Retail.. ...Retail........
    TOTAL PRICE: $10,559...$1,850...$2,575...$3,800...

Really irritates me why these truck have no resale value on them. Between original MSRP and Low Retail is almost a $9,000 loss. This is why we keep our trucks so long, wouldn't get squat for it if you did sell it. Pffft.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Ca...kup-4WD/Values

Might be time for a timing belt, 60-80K and they usually take flight. It's also not considered a sport, why? I think because it is a 4WD. Just my guess.

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    about the same as the ford ranger and isuzu trucks, its just the age of the vehicles http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Ca...yleside/Values
    http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Ca...p/S-4WD/Values

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V6
    Resale isn't our only concern. It's in your best interest to get a appraisal like I did from Mathew Motors here in Portland and they sale only old classic cars. Classic cars are 25 years or older.
    Many of us here have a chunk of change in trucks, the apraisal is based in the original condition, not by how much custom work you've done.
    We all know how insurance works, the aprasal grantees a no hassel if anything bad should occur. Mine only apraised @ 3500 at base but i have over 10k in my build and I have every reciept which my insurance guy said to keep.
    All custom modifications can be paid back dollar for dollar (No up keep cost can be included, tune up, tires, clutch or brakes). New motors and transmissions are not up keep parts, they are new and add vaue.
    Get the picture?
    I get a clasic car discount, I have full coverage insurance and pay 14 a month for 14k worth of insurance. Note, my truck is not a daily driver. It's a old custom truck with half of a new paint job with sanding marks still on the bed.
    Last edited by Rickdees; 01-17-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I'm embarrassed to say I paid ($4500) for my '89 2.0.

I try to rationalize it by saying it had been fully restored by Mitsubishi of Concord to showroom condition for the 20th anniversary of the dealership and that's also with the Bay Area cost of living tax rolled in. Whatever. As soon as I got in I knew I had to have it. I don't regret it.

So if you find a fool with a sentimental attachment to these trucks you can offload these things for above NADA.

The AAA lady told me I can insure it as a classic/collector this year because of the condition and all the miles I don't drive.
    Last edited by noahwins; 01-17-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    can't see it from your pic....not the "power ram" emblem on the fender, but the square one immediately in front of it would say sport on the bottom half.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    When you look at the price of a new truck and the subsequent cost of insurance for new trucks it makes sense to to buy an older one. For 1/10th the price you get 2 times the truck in my opinion. Three times when you throw in the "fun" factor. Then there's the "I can fix it myself" factor, which isn't always an option with a new truck. I someone gave me a truck like that I'd be checking my skivvies for a week looking for the horse shoe.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    They pay 100% return on custom installs? Tell them to put that in writing if they have not done so for you. I always thought that depreciation comes into play when an insurance company has to reimburse for damages to custom items. If your insurance company does that though, you must be getting hit with some extra charges for that luxury included. I remember when insurance companies didn't give a crap about extra stuff, well unless you whipped out the receipts. Keep saving those things definitely.

Noah, lie to your insurance company always. Never drive over 7K a year, non smoker, etc etc. They never check your odometer, or ash tray, these are just add on BS for them.

LOL Andy, yep new vehicles and every extra charge that comes with them is nuts, especially when you drive off the lot the first day of ownership and 3-4k falls out of the car instantly when you hit asphalt. A headlight use to cost maybe 10 bucks tops, now they are the entire front of the car and cost $500+

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    nice truck , Wish something like that with that low mileage was givin to me.

U could easily spend on insurance alone on a new truck what you would spend on this truck monthly to fully rebuild it .Plus property taxes exc... There are to many price ++++ to not having a truck like this even if it's free and does not take the whole freeking driveway up.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    They pay 100% return on custom installs? Tell them to put that in writing if they have not done so for you. I always thought that depreciation comes into play when an insurance company has to reimburse for damages to custom items. If your insurance company does that though, you must be getting hit with some extra charges for that luxury included. I remember when insurance companies didn't give a crap about extra stuff, well unless you whipped out the receipts. Keep saving those things definitely.
    Barrett-Jackson and Mecum Auction Company do quite well on custom installs.
    granted these trucks aren't 57 Corvettes or 57 Belairs. Even my 1976 Cj-5
    Jeep is worth more today then the day I bought it new.
    Depreciation kind of doesn't count here, we're kind of like that guy on Gas Monkey buying up cars that could be. We've put thousands in them that we know we'll never get out of them.
    We do it because we like our trucks. Period.
    My point here is this. Protect your investment, what's yours, not theirs.

Yes, there is and are insurance companies out there that do take your word for how much you think it's worth.
    That's all they do is hot rods and custom cars. Limited miles per year but for about twice the payment I make a month.
    Last edited by Rickdees; 01-18-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I have Geronimo insured for 21K for about $300 a year with 0 /100 deduct and pretty high limits for the other numbers based on my auto policy through American classics insurance. Its an agreed value policy - if its totaled or stolen, that's what they pay. My Blackwood is on the same policy, and is about the same 300 / year for about the same 21K. Both vehicles were on my old car policy - full coverage for the Blackwood and limited use for Geronimo with 15K agreed value was 1200 / yr with Erie insurance. Check out american classics for your trucks - you must have at least one vehicle on a regular policy to qualify for the insurance to show you have a DD.
    Pennyman1