Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Build AKA Mighty Ruckus Carrier!

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Smart man. Check my sig.

Array
    Status
    Washington, MI
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    Smart man. Check my sig.
    Hahaha well you were right about C105 though and half right on C104! But your info was super helpful. Thanks man!!

Array
    Status
    Washington, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    go with what you find in there - the voltage and uF rating can be higher if it fits, but neither can be smaller. Not a suprize with Rubycon caps - they used the same ones in many coin op games in the same timeframe.
    Awesome, Thanks for the info on that! I didnt know I could do that!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    For best results get as close as you can on the uF rating - voltage can be higher. The uF rating tunes the circuit, so that needs to be close and preferably exact.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    For best results get as close as you can on the uF rating - voltage can be higher. The uF rating tunes the circuit, so that needs to be close and preferably exact.
    Ok, I'll definiently make sure I get the same uF rating. I hope they have it at radioshack lol, thats the only place i know of by me that sells electronic components! Thanks man!

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    <--- Blind as a bat.

This fix is satisfying as hell. When you start it up the truck just -- works.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V6

Array
    Status
    Washington, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickdees View Post
    Nice to see someone actually taking a plunge into a ECU. Not that I can.
    Are these the one you need.
    http://www.radioshack.com/nte-nev47m...s#.VLns4TDogg8

http://www.radioshack.com/nte-nev100...l#.VLntGDDogg8
    I hope it helps?
    Yes,those are the exact ones!! Thank you! Do not a lot of people dive into the ECU's?

<--- Blind as a bat.

This fix is satisfying as hell. When you start it up the truck just -- works.
    I noticed that when I out it back in before i went to replace the caps. Truck just started!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    You can check Fry's electronics also

Many of us just have the ECU as a paper weight now. Especially smog exempt trucks with weber carbs or a header. Or they been switched out for an engine change

Array
    Status
    Washington, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    You can check Fry's electronics also

Many of us just have the ECU as a paper weight now. Especially smog exempt trucks with weber carbs or a header. Or they been switched out for an engine change
    Oh I didnt know the ECU's were that big of an issue, maybe I should start rebuilding them and sell them on the cheap side.

Array
    Status
    Washington, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Progress accomplished today so far:

Put the truck back together (timing, timing cover, fan, belts, etc) and I picked up/ installed the new capacitors that I got from micro center right down the road from my work and shop! same exact specs to. Now im just letting the ECU dry before I hummi-seal it. Also the de-soldering tool I got from radio shack is awesome, has a heated tip that melts the solder and sucks it up! made the job very easy. More updates coming later today!
    P_20150117_103629.jpgP_20150117_103648.jpgP_20150117_103718.jpgP_20150117_131446.jpgP_20150117_133418.jpgP_20150117_133439.jpg

Array
    Status
    Washington, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Update: Ecu is now back in and it works!! The truck now runs way smoother and has no misfires any more but its hard to start and once started the idle shoots way up and stays high. Sounds like its getting to much air or something is out of wack sensor wise. Any idea on what It could be that is causing that? any common known issues that cause that? I went ahead a bought a new pcv and coolant temp sensor, will install and see what happens today or tomorrow. Any other info is greatly appreciated!!

P.S. Truck looks good outside and it drives well minus the issue stated above.
    P_20150117_162855.jpgP_20150117_162953.jpgP_20150118_102014.jpg

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Great!

There are two coolant temp sensors, the 2 prong one that goes to the ECU and the single prong one that goes to the gauge. If that doesn't work, check for vacuum leaks and test the MAF and TPS with a multimeter. I don't remember the resistances but they're in the Manuals forum somewhere. The pdf of the Haynes manual has them I think.

Array
    Status
    Washington, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Great!

There are two coolant temp sensors, the 2 prong one that goes to the ECU and the single prong one that goes to the gauge. If that doesn't work, check for vacuum leaks and test the MAF and TPS with a multimeter. I don't remember the resistances but they're in the Manuals forum somewhere. The pdf of the Haynes manual has them I think.
    Awesome! I got the one that goes to the Ecu and ok Ill look up the specs and test them tomorrow! Im hoping its just the coolant temp sensor...I hear MAF and TPS sensors are expensive...

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Two things to remember, 1. After disconnection, your ecu needs to run at idle for a while so it can run its tests and make its adjustments, especially if maintenance has been done. 2. There is an idle control that should be adjusted after maintenance. Easiest to set if you know someone with the old obd1 scan tools.
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    Washington, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by lush90 View Post
    Two things to remember, 1. After disconnection, your ecu needs to run at idle for a while so it can run its tests and make its adjustments, especially if maintenance has been done. 2. There is an idle control that should be adjusted after maintenance. Easiest to set if you know someone with the old obd1 scan tools.
    Ok I'll do that, also do you know where I can find an obd1 scan tool?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    You can use a voltmeter or DroppedMitsu's Radio Shack buzzer. It's in the wiki. OBD1 is crude, you count pulses the ECU sends out and then look up the numbers in a table.

Array
    Status
    Washington, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Update: Found my idle issue...adjustment screw was all the way in (hur-dur!!) Also replaced the the 2 prong coolant temp sensor, replaced fuel filter, Checked tps (5.4k ohms), maf is good, no vacuum leaks, and put 5 gal of fresh gas in it. Here comes the not so good news, truck is still hard to start when cold but once warm. It runs fine like it was new, Kinda stumped on this, going to check plug gaps tomorrow or later in the week. Kinda learning towards o2 sensor but what else could cause this issue? any insight would be tremendous!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Your going to have a nice truck pretty soon.
    Check to be sure you are using the 3rd wire for the starter. I had similar issues and it was low voltage during the initial startup. Hard when cold to start and flooded easy and easier to start when warm. I fixed my 3rd wire by connecting it up the way it was suppose to be and installed a diode and it cranks a hell of alot faster and instantly starts up like it use to. Had that starting issue for friggin years when an autoparts clerk said I didn't need the 3rd wire on starter. Worked fine for a long time then it acted up. Found the wire taped up and reconnected it during a rebuild.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Weak battery or bad ground for the starter?

Array
    Status
    Washington, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Your going to have a nice truck pretty soon.
    Check to be sure you are using the 3rd wire for the starter. I had similar issues and it was low voltage during the initial startup. Hard when cold to start and flooded easy and easier to start when warm. I fixed my 3rd wire by connecting it up the way it was suppose to be and installed a diode and it cranks a hell of alot faster and instantly starts up like it use to. Had that starting issue for friggin years when an autoparts clerk said I didn't need the 3rd wire on starter. Worked fine for a long time then it acted up. Found the wire taped up and reconnected it during a rebuild.
    I will check for that wire and see what all is going on there and make sure the grounds and everything to the starter are correct. Also going to check ignition timing to make sure its ok and in spec.

Weak battery or bad ground for the starter?
    Battery is brand new and starter ground seems to be ok.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    In one word " SEAFOAM" TallBlackGuy this is amazing stuff!!!!

Array
    Status
    Washington, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Update: Truck is fixed and running well! Previous owner had the ignition timing way out of wack. Reset that and the truck is running excellent. Now on to saving money for the drop!
    Quote Originally Posted by MIHIFISI View Post
    In one word " SEAFOAM" TallBlackGuy this is amazing stuff!!!!
    I have 3 cans of that stuff and I'm definitely going to use it! I LOVE SEAFOAM!!

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    here is a link to a lowering kit for a good price http://www.thesuspensionsource.com/t...-5-f-3-r-drop/

Array
    Status
    Washington, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    [QUOTE=Rahtid;37758]here is a link to a lowering kit for a good price http://www.thesuspensionsource.com/t...op/&#91;/QUOTE]
    Good find on price! Do you know where I can get drop spindles besides from amazon?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast