Thread: 4g54 swap with a 4g64 easy or not?

Array
    Status
    Marion, VA
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

4g54 swap with a 4g64 easy or not?

Hey, this is my first threat on here. I am curious as to how difficult it would be to swap a 4g64 2.4L fuel injected motor over into a 4g54 carb motor? Basically I just got a heck of a deal on a 88 Dodge D50 with bad motor. I already have a 94 Mightymax with good motor. Both are 5 speed manual. They Dodge is 4x4, the mighty max 2x4. Dodge had the 2.6, mighty max the 2.4. How much trouble would it be to put the 94 motor in the 88 truck. Is it more trouble than its worth and I should consider other alternatives, or is it relatively easy? thx

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I comes out in about 30 minutes. You can take all the electrical and wiring with it... just swap it over.

Easy is a point of view. Hard to say if it is easy for you to do.

Array
    Status
    Marion, VA
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Hey, thx for the info. Good point on the easy part. lol I am relative mechanically inclined, but have a handful of friends who are really good. However, I'm getting mixed reviews from them. The area for them gets gray on switching the wiring, computer, etc. Most of these guys are chevy/ford, etc guys. No problems with motor swap, just uncertain on amount of time, etc on wiring switch over. Some of them say probably no big deal, others say stay away from it and go with a rebuild, etc. So all of them suggested sites like this to get thoughts from guys who have done the swap from carb to fuell injection on mitsu/dodge. Any thoughts on how much wiring, electronics, etc has to be switched or how difficult to get to, etc? Thx again for post

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    the harness' are pretty easy to swap out, but youll have to do pretty much bumper to bumper wiring, and swap over the fuel system. idk about the differences with the 4x4 wiring, if any though. worst case you wouldnt have an indicator that it is in 4x4 and would have to wire in a manual switch if there is a solenoid for the front end

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I'm not talking down about your friends' abilities or anything, but if they can't figure out how to unplug a wiring harness, then plug it back in on a different vehicle,you may want to re-think their abilities

Just unplug it, take it out, put it back in the same spot on the other truck, plug it all back in, and drive. Chevy's and Ford's have wiring harnesses as well. The fact that it has an ECU means little.... just unplug it, and plug it back in on the new truck lol