Array
    Status
    tucson arizona
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

clutch release fork lever

Hi guys. First post btw. I just bought a 92 mighty max from my uncle with only 62k miles. it has what I believe is a 2.4l. Its 2wd and has a 5 speed standard. The interior isnt in great shape but the body is in wonderful shape and even came with a camper shell. So up until about 2 months ago the only problem I have had is the thermostat. And this infernal ticking noise that will not quit. But my issue is my clutch fork release shaft lever broke off. So first I had a coworker weld it back on and about 400 miles later it broke again. Now I have bought a new one but what I want to know is if anyone else has had this issue and have you found a permanent fix because I have heard of people replacing them and they break again soon after

Array
    Status
    Star, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I had the same issue a couple years back. I never thought there would be enough force on that part to break it in half. I tried welding it back on with a stick welder working from underneath the truck. It only held up about a week and gave out again while my wife was driving it. She had to drive it home in 2nd gear rolling through every stop sign she came to. She didn't know you can rev-match and do clutchless shifting. Luckily, the lever did'nt break off, it just bent the crappy weld back until the clutch pedal hit the floor, so the part was not lost on the road somewhere. The first time it fell off and I recovered it. For the fix this time, I decided to drop the tranny and bring it into the fab shop at work and put a quality mig weld on it. It was much easier to access for welding, and I was able to clean and chamfer the two parts, which makes for better weld penetration. I added a 1/2" flat bar gusset perpendicular to the break for good measure. I haven't had an issue with it since. 10k miles ago. While I had the tranny out, I also installed a new clutch.

Array
    Status
    tucson arizona
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Cool thanks. Its funny it happened the same way first it snapped clean off then the second time it only snapped most of the way then bent. Thanks for the idea ill find someone to weld up a support b4 I Put the new one in.