Thread: Timing chain kit (brand recommendations)

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Timing chain kit (brand recommendations)

I'm looking for a timing chain kit for my g54b engine, and I'm wondering if any of you have a recommendation on a quality brand. I'm currently looking at the beck-arnley kit and the cloyes kit. The beck-arnley kit is more expensive which makes me believe that it is of better quality, but I know that is not always the truth. Experienced advice is always appreciated!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Beck arnley is a reseller of parts - many times the parts are factory parts reboxed with a 30% above dealer prices, other times they are chinese knockoffs. Cloyes has been around for decades - you can't go wrong with them. I have even seen parts from major brands rebox factory parts as their own - the mitsu part tag will be in the box.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Thanks for the advice! I had a feeling cloyes would be the better choice, considering that is their primary manufacturing choice of engine products. And I find it hard for beck arnley to have tight quality control on products they don't even manufacture. Anyways thanks for the response, and it looks like I'll be getting the cloyes kit, unless anybody else has a recommendation.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Ive had good luck with beck arnley stuff. Cant say Ive used any of their engine parts though.

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I think I'm going to go for a kit I saw on racetep.com, it has a heavy duty timing chain. I contacted Top End Performance to find out what brand it was, they told me it was from a Japanese manufacturer.