Array
    Status
    la grande oregon
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Better gearing for large tires

Hey guys I have a 82 d50 4x4 with a rebuilt 2.6. I currently run 35×13.50r15 tires with a mild body lift and cut out fenders. I have already done the montero gear swap with 4.625 gears, but now I am wanting more. Has anyone tried a 2x4 transmission with a devoirsed case? How about the lower gears from marks4x4 out of Australia? Could anyone tell me what our stock tcase gears are? Please help. I use my truck for deep snow wheeling and of course I always wanna go just a little further.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the steepest gears I ever saw for our axles were 5.13, but I don't remember where I saw them. You may also want to do some power adders to the 2.6, like a turbo or supercharger, with a cam and exhaust.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    la grande oregon
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah 5.13 gears would be great if you can remember where I can get some at. However all of my wheeling is done at low speeds and low rpm. Our stock cams give us the best low end torque and a turbo wouldn't spool up until higher rpms. Thanks for you input tho.

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    There's another gent in Australia with 5.86 gears for the 4-cylinder axles. Other easier options, like an Atlas t-case.

Array
    Status
    la grande oregon
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    How do I look this guy up with the 5.89 gears? A 2 wheel drive transmission with an atlis would be good but also very expensive. If i could just buy gears I would. I have also thought about doing an sas with dana 44s . I just want to do the most cost effective route

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Bigger tires will make your speedometer change the actual speed that your going. So bigger will say your doing less then the actual speed of the truck. I think they have gears that sub this stuff though.

Array
    Status
    la grande oregon
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes lol, I understand that bigger tire will change my speedo....however I don't care about my speedo. I am looking for a better crawl ratio. With 4.625 gears and 35s my speedo (according to gps) is only about 1 mph off at 60 mph. Thanks for your input and I am not trying to be rude. I just want to crawl even slower to stay on top of the snow and i don't really care about road manners. Thanks guys keep the ideas coming

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T