Thread: Releasing Fuel Pressure - Alternate method?

Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Releasing Fuel Pressure - Alternate method?

1991 EFI 2.4L. I need to replace the head gasket, so obviously I need to pull the head. So, I got the truck into the garage to start the disassemble process. Even though I have a repair manual, i neglected to pull it off the shelf for a while. Some things just seemed like obvious start points. Well, I goofed. I forgot to release the fuel pressure.

Manual says I need to unplug the fuel pump, then run the truck till it dies. I can't do that without spending quite a bit of time undoing quite a bit of work. The distributor is out, and all of the wiring harness, including the fuel injector connections of course.

So, is there an alternate way to do this? If I had a locked up engine, I couldn't follow the manual's prescribed process, right? So, how do I release the fuel pressure without counting on the injectors to do it for me?

It goes without saying, but I'd rather not blow myself up!!

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    you can remove the fuel line going to rail,undo the bolt and remove the line slowy

Array
    Status
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Any idea how much fuel I need to be ready to catch? Will a wad of paper towels do, or do I need some kind of cup?

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Maybe put the paper towels in a cup, lol. Your probably not going to get much, if a cup at all. Lay a rag around the opening so it doesn't shoot you in the eyes depressurizing. After it releases pressure you may get some residual fuel which can drip into a cup or a couple rags. Don't arc the battery terminals by accident either.

Array
    Status
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    when i unhooked the lines on my 95 2.4L i simply cracked loose the high pressure line there was almost no fuel spray it leaked less than 1/2 of a cup of fuel. A few shop towels or rags will be plenty to catch the fuel spill.