Status
    Atl, GA
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Lifter Tick For The Dummies

'94 MM 2.4L 4cyl

My truck has always had engine tick. I remedy this by keeping the oil fresh and filled and this usually fixes the problem. However, this morning it was ticking a lot more than usual so I went ahead and changed the oil (last change sept). It did not help. The truck is now ticking at idle and at speed, hot or cold, highway or driveway.

I don't know if this is an oil pressure problem or a valve problem. My Haynes manual suggests improper valve clearances, or worn piston pins or piston pin holes, or yes even a collapsed lifter, but unfortunately it doesn't supply that much visual information on how to check and/or fix these things.

What is the best way to go about diagnosing this? I am going to check the oil pressure and pull the valve cover tomorrow but I need to know what to look for.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Any help is appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I'm learning how to do this myself because I have the same issue. What I've found is to inspect the lifters, unbolt the 10 (I think) 12mm bolts you see. The cam assembly will lift out. The lifters in the rockers should have firm but smooth spring action. If they're stuck, they should slip out of the machined pocket with a little effort, they're held in by tension. You can either try cleaning them to see if they come unstuck or replace them. They're around $8-10 apiece at parts stores. I'd soak new ones in oil and work the oil into them with the spring before reinstalling.

Be careful with cleanliness so the journals or bearings don't get grit in them. Remember to torque everything back to spec.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    you can also soak them in either kerosene or charcoal lighter fluid to clean the gunk out of them, then soak them in fresh motor oil or auto tranny fluid before you reinstall them. Be sure you put them back in with the holes up on the lifters.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Have the same problem with my truck. Its quite a bit louder than when I first got the truck, which was in March. and I've changed the oil twice so far since then. Are there any pictures available of the rockers underneath the valve cover?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    This is a common issue for most engines running hydraulic heads/lifters. Give this a shot -

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post49688
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Is it possible that the lifters are our of adjustment. And how hard arw they to readjust.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    hydraulic lash adjustors are not adjustable - they pump up with oil pressure. Sludge can gum them up and they will stick and then tick. That's why cleaning them out can fix the issue - or replacement will work as long as the rest of the motor is clean.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Oh ok. Thank you. I think Ill try that diesel gas trick for an engine flush then. A bit skeptical on putting gasoline in my oil, but if its supposed to work. . .

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiwarrior View Post
    Oh ok. Thank you. I think Ill try that diesel gas trick for an engine flush then. A bit skeptical on putting gasoline in my oil, but if its supposed to work. . .
    Make sure it's diesel fuel - you don't want combustible hydrocarbons like regular gas in there that lack their own inherent lubricants and detergents. I guarantee the diesel flush will cure noisy hydraulics - I was skeptical too (what a freakin' stupid idea of 'watering down' engine oil, it'll damage the bearings and seals...) but I have not only used it on all of my higher mileage engines very successfully, but have come up with what I think is the most effective flush technique to prolong oil life and free up lifters. My hung dog (Hyundai) is due for a full flush this weekend...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kellogg, Idaho
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I've given up on trying to stop my lifter tick. I did the diesel flush for 100 miles, put high mileage oil in it plus additive and finally replaced the lifters. truck seem to run well and it's not my daily driver so I'm just going to through a paint job on it and enjoy the driving the dog around and plowing the driveway.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Did it reduce the majority of the noise? It won't 100% fix every hydraulic noise issue (did the Hung Dog last week as I had a fair bit of driving to do, think my oil pressure is down from wear so it ticks at low rpm and when it's dead cold...)

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    engine building class instructor said he added half to a quart of transmission fluid, one week before oil change
    I've been doing that from young. Motors always clean inside. Even my 1st gen DSMs never lifter tick'd

My first 4G64 mitsu truck encounter, was my cousins. He worked that ol pickup like a mule, but was a mechanic who took care of it
    I was impressed how whisper quiet and smooth that hi mileage 4cyl ran... had to have one. I got lucky as my $150 D50 runs quiet also

Array
    Status
    Kellogg, Idaho
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Can't tell if the tick goes away at high RPM as the engine drowns out the sound. No oil pressure gauge so no light means it's go enough pressure to not engage the sensor. I'm sure that 208000 miles means it's a bit worn out. It is fun to drive and after a paint job it will be cool enough to plow the driveway and go to the dump.