Status
    Atl, GA
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Lifter Tick For The Dummies

'94 MM 2.4L 4cyl

My truck has always had engine tick. I remedy this by keeping the oil fresh and filled and this usually fixes the problem. However, this morning it was ticking a lot more than usual so I went ahead and changed the oil (last change sept). It did not help. The truck is now ticking at idle and at speed, hot or cold, highway or driveway.

I don't know if this is an oil pressure problem or a valve problem. My Haynes manual suggests improper valve clearances, or worn piston pins or piston pin holes, or yes even a collapsed lifter, but unfortunately it doesn't supply that much visual information on how to check and/or fix these things.

What is the best way to go about diagnosing this? I am going to check the oil pressure and pull the valve cover tomorrow but I need to know what to look for.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Any help is appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Richmond, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I'm learning how to do this myself because I have the same issue. What I've found is to inspect the lifters, unbolt the 10 (I think) 12mm bolts you see. The cam assembly will lift out. The lifters in the rockers should have firm but smooth spring action. If they're stuck, they should slip out of the machined pocket with a little effort, they're held in by tension. You can either try cleaning them to see if they come unstuck or replace them. They're around $8-10 apiece at parts stores. I'd soak new ones in oil and work the oil into them with the spring before reinstalling.

Be careful with cleanliness so the journals or bearings don't get grit in them. Remember to torque everything back to spec.
    I can help get your truck to pass California smog! PM me.
    California BAR Smog Inspector License #EO635469
    "Keep 'em on the road."

See what I have for sale:
    http://stores.ebay.com/zims

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    you can also soak them in either kerosene or charcoal lighter fluid to clean the gunk out of them, then soak them in fresh motor oil or auto tranny fluid before you reinstall them. Be sure you put them back in with the holes up on the lifters.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980