Array
    Status
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

What are some Factory Rare Options

I was once huge on the EF Honda scene. I would troll the boards in search of the elusive JDM parts to make my lil Honda just a lil more Japanese!!

I started looking, are there, were there any factory options that were rare on the 2nd Gen trucks?

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Just about the only thing I see that people seem to go ape shit over are the factory buckets, center console, tached cluster and dash clock lol. Power anything is rare... intermittent wipers are uncommon... a tape deck.... I think that's about it.

I don't care much about the whole JDM scene. It seems silly to go out of my way to build something "factory" that everyone else is doing at a ridiculously inflated price. I know I sound slightly hypocritical because I just did a right hand drive swap in my Mighty Max using JDM parts, but I didn't do it to "be JDM" - I just did it because it was ridiculously cheap and easy, and I couldn't resist.

I do like nicer things in an otherwise option-less truck. I tossed in some Oh Shit handles from a Montero Sport/Galant/Diamante/Mirage/Montero/every modern Mitsu, an illuminated cigarette lighter ring and illuminated key ring for a nice touch. It's on page 2 or 3 of my thread (I think).

If you want to get really REALLY fancy, retro fit the automatic climate control out of a Diamante or Evo 4-6. That will be a rare deal (it's in my plans at some point). Other than all that, there are probably a gabillion things from other Mitsu models and platforms that will swap over to look like a factory option that you can install inexpensively. Even the simple flip down cubby that goes under the radio can be installed. Just pull one from a Galant. The sunglasses holder can be tossed in as a "bolt-on/up" factory looking option. Those can be found in some Mirages and Galants.

Factory engine swaps are doable too. The 16V 4G64 from the Montero Sport would bolt right in, give more power, and look completely factory.... just go play at the yard one day and see what bolts up.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    A Sunroof/Moonroof (whatever you want to call it) is another option... 1G Eclipse/Talon/Laser is a pop up with removable glass, and the 2G Talon is a pop up slider that is powered. Those can be found in dozens of junk yards and are completely bolt-on. All you have to do is cut a hole... stupid easy to install.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B

Cool

Asian market double cab. People would flip if you could get one into the US. They got all the rad jungle safari options like snorkles. Imagine living in Phillipines, getting hit with a typhoon and having to evacuate your family with the power out and no gas stations open. Suddenly a 4x4 double cab diesel with a snorkle intake that could run on fry grease is function over form.

l200.jpg

There was even an L200 Police edition in somewhere like Thailand.

People do love the dash clock. I guess it's a cheap easy 2 minute add on that fills up that annoying hole in the dash.

I've yet to see cloth door cards in good condition (not mangled with speaker cut outs) in a color other than tan. It's possible the Sport only came with a tan interior.

Power steering, AC, cruise contol and especially LSD are all rare.

I have a sales brochure with all the USDM options from 1989 at home somewhere.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Is LSD really that rare? 4wd Center console is completely different from the 2wd center console too.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Merrill, I have been toying with the idea of adding a 2G sunroof in my extended cab. I also recently ran across a factory drawer/cubby that bolts under the passenger seat. Same truck had a double DIN factory AM/FM tape deck too

Noah I just sold a set of gray cloth door cards that were pristine. They both still had there map pockets on them.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    LSDs were only available as an option on 4wd trucks and some 1 ton 2wd models. The consoles are different 2wd and 4wd and 1st and 2nd gen bodies. Factory 3 piece sliders, full padded / plastic interior trim and dash clocks for 1st gen trucks. Don't forget the tach clusters and gauges in the consoles. I have also eyed up using the climate control setup from a conquest in Geronimo, but I am not sure the parts I have from the donor car are any good, and the dash controls are beat up.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I do have my rare factory dual carb intake for the G63B that came off a Sapporo GTX that was never available to the U.S. market but I don't know if you would consider is JDM, i got it from New Zealand and it was old and rare there when I bought it from the guy. There are pics in my build thread of it, it's a wayyyyy better flowing design than the factory single carb intake so you can deff tell Mitsubishi had performance in mind when they made it

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Mopar Performance sold a dual down draft carb manifold for the 2.0 4g52 motor for the colt that is likely the same version of the manifold for the astron motor. Damn thing was only $60 new with the discount I got at the dealer, and I never bought one.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I think you can still get a dual side draft manifold new for the astron motor. From the UK redline I think

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    not for $60 - don't need it that bad - besides I have the dual sidedraft weber manifold and 2 dcoe40 carbs sitting,and a set of hayabusa sidedraft fuel injection throttle bodies to play with first...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Hell yeah that should sound awesome on the 2.6 to bad they never made a side draft manifold for the pair port heads of the G63B/4G64 I would be all over that!! But I'll settle with my two weber 32/36 downdrafts

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    ahhhhh so JDM it HURTS..... no seriously i want that front end and headlights......

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    that front grill is from brazil they had a special run on these trucks they called them savana,they also have the hood scoop,safari rack,turbo diesel,,mitsubishi-l200-gls-savana-01.jpgmitsubishi-l200-savana-2.jpgsavana.jpgsavana2.jpgsavana3.jpgvga_P1020935.jpg
    here is the 2nd gen with interior to show different cluster and steering wheel

2013 model, you can get the regular truck in mexico not the savana package, there is still a 4g64 option or diesel
    http://www.mitsubishimotors.com.mx/l200/2014/

there is also a new 2015 model

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahtid View Post
    Boss a.f.

Check out the video of it pulling the Mercedes truck out of mud and clay. Could any other light duty truck on the market even come close to doing that? I don't get why Mitusbishi can't get their act together and sell these in the US.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Redline has those side draft intakes last time I checked.

Pennyman can I be in your Will? Parts Parts Parts

I have also seen a truck with all the BMW outer hardware installed on it. The grill was exceptionally cool to see on a truck. They had everything BMW down to the rims, looked like it came out Mitsubishi and was drove right over to BMW for the finishing.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I have looked at the 80s BMW 3 and 5 series grilles and headlight assemblies in the jys for a long time - looks like an easy install and would give an updated Mitsu Forte look to the 1st gen trucks. Came real close the last time at the one yard - there was a 5 series with the round projector headlights that would look so sweet on the 86 project truck...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    I have looked at the 80s BMW 3 and 5 series grilles and headlight assemblies in the jys for a long time - looks like an easy install and would give an updated Mitsu Forte look to the 1st gen trucks.
    3 series.jpg

This guy did an E30 grill and lights. Not really my style. Doesn't look like it's flush and there's a big ass gap between the grill and hood. Maybe it would match the lines of the 1G better.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    it would - the opening is smaller. The reason they won't import the L200s here is the 25% tariff on small trucks that has been on the books since the 70s - it is the reason that the Ford connect vans come from Turkey with seats in them front to back that are pulled and shipped back to Turkey to make them station wagons, not trucks, to beat the tariff. The tariff was put in place to protect the detroit automakers - it also forced Toyota and Nissan to build factories here, and Mazda, isuzu, and Mistu to rebadge US models to have something to sell here. Ardam looks like a Stillen or Hottops.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T

Cool

Options on my truck:

Dash clock, check
    Tach cluster, check
    Cruise control, check
    Intermittent wipers, check
    Sliding rear window, check
    Mitsubishi (maybe dealer) tubular rear bumper, check
    A/C, check
    4x4, check
    Bucket seats with multi-piece console, check
    Rear speaker covers, check
    Pockets on rear cab wall, check
    LSD rear, check (will have LSD front soon)

Things that were added:
    Starion power
    2.5" stainless exhaust with high-flow cat
    4.625 gears

Things I wish for:
    33" tires
    Service body
    Savana grille and headlights

107_0335 (2).jpg

Cheers,
    Russell
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Mitsubishi Concept Sport Truck
    concept.jpg

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Geronimo originally had the grille guard, roll bar, and sport mirrors when I bought him new - the grille guard and roll bar I gave to a friend who had the "D-50 Ranch" - his farm had 10 or more d-50s laying in the field broken by his son. The trucks are gone - the township kept harassing him about them so he had to scrap them. The roll bar and grille guard are probably still there though.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    That concept is just horrible. Doesn't even look like a truck. Like a Evo and a Chevy SSR got together and make a ugly kid

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    looks like an aussie el camino concept ripoff gone horribly wrong...
    Pennyman1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast