Array
    Status
    las vegas,NV
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B

timing belt replacement

ok so i opened the timing cover and i found out that the balance shaft belt broke, so im gonna attempt to change it out... im trying to take off the the crank bolt but it doesnt want to come off.... i was wondering if it its a right hand bolt or not... i tried heating it up and hitting it with an impact but nothing... any input would help... thanks

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You won't need to remove the centre crank pulley bolt. Undo the 4 x 12mm bolts holding the front pulleys on, slip the pulleys out of the way and back off the belt tensioners. (future reference - try using the search function, it is your friend!)

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Roger that. the center Bolt holds the timing belt, and balance belt pulleys onto the crank. the pix also shows you the timing marks.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    *but, if in the future you actually need to crack that bolt to remove the timing belt sprockets and you simply can't do it with a rattle gun or with hand tools you can try this - (this is with the engine installed) get a socket onto the end of the bolt and attach an extension/breaker bar onto it, then turn the bolt clockwise until the end of the bar is hitting the chassis rail. Take the main coil lead off the distributor, then hit the ignition key once or twice (or whatever it takes) and the starter motor will exert enough force to undo the bolt for you. I've been caught out with a stubborn crank bolt and this method has served it's purpose well

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    *but, if in the future you actually need to crack that bolt to remove the timing belt sprockets and you simply can't do it with a rattle gun or with hand tools you can try this - (this is with the engine installed) get a socket onto the end of the bolt and attach an extension/breaker bar onto it, then turn the bolt clockwise until the end of the bar is hitting the chassis rail. Take the main coil lead off the distributor, then hit the ignition key once or twice (or whatever it takes) and the starter motor will exert enough force to undo the bolt for you. I've been caught out with a stubborn crank bolt and this method has served it's purpose well
    hey thanks for this!!! Just did it and it worked amazingly easy