Thread: Crankshaft pulley removal w/out removing radiator =possible?

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Crankshaft pulley removal w/out removing radiator =possible?

It's 20-something degrees out there, windy as hell, and I'd rather not pull the radiator fan/radiator just to replace the crankshaft pulley seal/gasket --which looks simple as pie in the Haynes manual * fingers crossed *

Can the crankshaft pulley be removed without removing the fan/radiator? The manual doesn't say anything about other things that may have to come off first other than the belts.

"All I want to do" is replace that little round plastic gasket in the center, not the paper gasket crap that came with the kit. Too freakin' cold for all that. Seriously hoping I won't have to

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Am going to try this tomorrow morning... will update with struggles if it works or not. My hands are super tiny, but concerned about making tools fit/angles.

Maybe will take pics, depends on how c-c-cold it is or not. Made BBQ ribs in the oven tonight w/home fries trying to think *summer* heat after a BS cold day w/the truck outside.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    The radiator is only 4 bolts and the Hoses well, the shroud if you still have it. If you have access from underneath it could be done...

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Yeah no shroud (yet).

Wanted to know if it could be done w/the radiator in place in case I had to buy more antifreeze this morning on the way home or not. Didn't want to waste time stopping in the middle of the job to get cleaned up to get more. I'm small enough to fit under the truck just fine, maybe something in the way of tools, but will try that first Thank You!!

Waiting for temps to get up to 30degrees outside before I start.

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Okee dokes, so I got everything off except the pulley!!! The radiator doesn't have to be removed. I did undo the 4 radiator mounting bolts though trying to wiggle the fan off without hurting it & almost took out the radiator but discovered ALL the radiator hoses seem to be permanently attached to all their spots.

Golly gee whiz, think the hoses may be rusted on? UGH!!! Makes me sick just to think about it
    IMG_2225.jpg

So after giving up on the radiator for today since I couldn't figure out how to get the hoses off without a blowtorch, I found that there's plenty of room to remove the crank pulley as long as the fan is out:

IMG_2235.jpg

Luckily the biggest socket I have matches the MM for that pulley nut .. BUT .. I couldn't figure out how to get it off. I sprayed the heck out of that big bolt with that stuff to make it easier to take off bolts, but no go. And of course there's no one strong to help me at home today! Then when searching to find out how i had the most horrible thought:

"If I do get it off - How will I ever get it back on tight enough???"

So I gave up and drove 2 people home from work, to the store, to turn in a time sheet, and started searching for more answers.

- Does having someone stand on the brakes while trying to break the pulley bolt loose actually help?
    - Do I really need to use an impact wrench? (if so, the radiator must get out of the way)
    - How in the world do I get that bolt back on tight enough when putting it all back together?

Wondering if I can rent an impact wrench from anywhere - or if it's time for me to just throw in the towel and buy one since this truck will probably need ALL new gaskets and seals, and most bolts haven't moved in 30 years

Still haven't named the truck but been referring to it as "SOB" and "Poor Thing" a lot.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    harbor freight 24" 1/2 drive breaker bar should do the trick - slide a pipe on the end if it still won't come loose. With the auto, the parking pawl should hold it good enough. The impact wrench would be the best bet - hf has a 1/2 drive earthquake model good for 700 ft lbs of loosening torque. The bar or the impact should be able to get it tight enough to stay on.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    harbor freight 24" 1/2 drive breaker bar should do the trick - slide a pipe on the end if it still won't come loose. With the auto, the parking pawl should hold it good enough. The impact wrench would be the best bet - hf has a 1/2 drive earthquake model good for 700 ft lbs of loosening torque. The bar or the impact should be able to get it tight enough to stay on.
    My apologies for having to ask, what's a parking pawl?

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    oh shoot, found it, sorry about that & THank you!!!

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Okee dokes, finally had a little victory and got the pulley off this afternoon.

Cleaned it up enough to take pics inside and 1 little tiny area concerns me: (red circle in 2nd pic, same spot on both, right opposite that sticky-outty part I can't think what it's called at the moment)

IMG_2249.jpgIMG_2241b.jpg
    I looked around and couldn't find a pic with an end of the shaft view like above, so I don't know if that is supposed to look like it does or not.

Would GREATLY appreciate any info or pointers very much!!! Unsure if I should put it back together as-is or not. *shrugs*

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the seal should cover that when it is installed and not leak. The part off the crank shaft is the keyway to locate the crank pulley.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    the seal should cover that when it is installed and not leak. The part off the crank shaft is the keyway to locate the crank pulley.
    Thanks! Thank you! That IS what it's called, yes keyway. Yeah, was hoping the seal would, but felt lost not knowing what I'm looking at. Too dark yet again but will put it all back together in the morning & hopefully no more leaking from there at least. Might as well do the radiator tomorrow too, will be above freezing temps. So may take a while to be 'done'.

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Much appreciation for the help, she's all back together now. Started her up (boyfriend went around the corner as I got in the key, idk what he was afraid of, haha!) and I didn't break anything, so all seems well enough for now.

Array
    Status
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    for future referance if you need to get stuck radiator hoses off loosen the clamps and move them, get a pair of channel lock pliers loosely grip the hose and rotate slowly back and forth it should break loose. if the hoses are older they may tear. remember to not squeeze to tightly on radiator or heater core connections as the metal is soft and can deform easily. hope this helps

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    harbor freight has a tool that looks like a contorted ice pick that is made to slide in and allow you to go around the pipe and release the hose without damage.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by fritolay View Post
    for future referance if you need to get stuck radiator hoses off loosen the clamps and move them, get a pair of channel lock pliers loosely grip the hose and rotate slowly back and forth it should break loose. if the hoses are older they may tear. remember to not squeeze to tightly on radiator or heater core connections as the metal is soft and can deform easily. hope this helps
    Ah yes, didn't think of the channel locks, thought about a sawsall though lol. That's a better idea thank you!! I do expect them to tear or / and crumble. Getting them to do either would be progress
    harbor freight has a tool that looks like a contorted ice pick that is made to slide in and allow you to go around the pipe and release the hose without damage.
    Oh thank you! I wouldn't have thought of that. Back to Harbor Freight for me then if the channel lock pliers don't tear them enough to pull away / crumble off. Got the order together on RockAuto for basically the entire cooling system, radiator, hoses, sensor, and misc. parts. I stopped short of having to do too many gaskets again & will probably change my mind later. I'm expecting the worst when I get to look into the openings those hoses are stuck on to right now.

Looks like a week or so before everything is delivered though since coming from 5 different shipping places. Then of course I'll schedule to avoid below freezing temps if possible... never buying a truck in the winter again. Dumb dumb timing!

I'll update with pics as soon as this gets going! Thank you for the suggestions!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    With a rusty bunch of radiator stuff to remove, especially the radiator ya got to be careful not to crack the hose attachment necks on the radiator and what not. If I have a hose that is glued on by years of use, I'll just cut that sucker with a blade.

Tink, you will get excited when the parts show up...it's like Christmas for us older people. lol I get like a dog when his master finally comes home, except with less slobber and no tail to wiggle.