Thread: G54B cylinder head variation question

Array
    Status
    College Place, WA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Another look in the haynes book and it looks like the 2.0 intake ports are paired with the fuel pump in the center. Mine are evenly spaced with the pump between holes 1 and 2. I believe they are both 2.6 heads. My truck is a 79 and I thought I saw somewhere on here that they had some mid-year changes that first year. I'm in WA state, so I wouldn't rule out Canadian stuff, but it had the jet-valves, so probably not from there.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The intakes are different from 84 on - that is why the old manifold doesn't line up with the newer style heads. The g52b truck heads and g54b truck heads from 79 - 82 will interchange with no issues. The issues in the swap thread had to do with using a 4g52 automotive head on a g54b truck motor - the differences were due to the different requirements for emissions between trucks and cars at the time. A caravan manifold should work since you are putting a Weber on it, but some fittings may be in different places because it was for a front drive application, and the emissions issues.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    College Place, WA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks Pennyman1. I will be familiar with every bit of my truck soon. Thats a good thing. I expect much better performance out of it when I finally get it all back together. That old head was in such poor shape and my linkage for the secondary butterfly was unhooked due to a tang that didnt hold the nut on the end. I was thinking about popping the exhaust manifold apart to check the cat and see if it's fallen apart. Does it increase flow to pull that out? I would like to put a header on it eventually, but workin with what I got now.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    it cant hurt - if you can, get the element out in one piece. That is the old style cats that have a lot of platinum and other precious metals - it is worth a lot to cash in regardless of condition. If you want the best header, get the DG header on this site - pricey but the best there is. Pacesetter is a cheep header that is not built for the daily use of a truck - it is a horsepower header at high revs above the power - DG is built for max power at motor torque peak. It was patterned off of the Doug Thorley tri-y header with improvements. That cam and the weber with the right header will make that truck scream in a good way.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    College Place, WA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Well I got myself an 85 intake and after some cleaning and minor mods (cut out the inner support at mounting base) bolted it back together a few days ago. Converted to electric fuel pump and did a low idle carb tune. It really scoots now! It does have some hesitation at 3500-4000 rpm, but only with the secondary open and pulling hard. I plan to go through the carb in the next couple weeks, but for now Im back to commuting in it. Thanks for the responses. The next time I have some time off work when its still light outside, I plan to get some pics and post them.

Array
    Status
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I picked up an unknown remanufactured long block and found out today that the head/cam are different than my previous Sapporo /Starion head. What is wording me out is the block doesn't have the access plate for the balance shaft on the intake side. I have a Oregan cam in my old head and when I pulled the cam from the reman head the journals were way bigger. 1/8in or so larger diameter journals. It's a jet valve head with hydro adjusters. The guy died a few years ago but it was bought for a Raider that it never made it into.

What the heck do I have here?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The old mechanical lifter head has different specs to the hydraulic head - the components aren't cross compatible. The Astron I engine you have didn't have a removable side cover. The updated engine is referred to as an Astron II and also uses a different intake stud pattern that is compatible with 3 intake set ups - carb'd, a single injector ECI, and MPI in countries outside of the US.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    My Starion had a hydraulic head being it was an '87, this '83 Sapporo (US model) is mechanical. Cams for sure interchange because I had to put an old Starion cam in the Sapporo to get it running when I bought it.

I still have to pull the studs from one of the old heads for the new engine but the intake bolt pattern looks to be identical. I'm confused to why the cam journals are so different when these heads are almost identical aside from mechanical and hydraulic lifters but both being jet valve heads. I want to use my Oregon cam

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hmm. Weird. I know the mechanical and hydraulic cams are different and don't interchange.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Found out why I was stumped. Remanufactured head = oversized cam journals. Noticed you can just buy cams with bigger journals so the head can be be repaired. Need to bring a micrometer home tomorrow and see what size over it is so I can buy another cam to then have it reground

For anyone searching for the info, no you CANNOT swap hydraulic/mechanical rocker cams. Valves stick up further in the mechanical rocker head. took me a few minutes of staring at both heads searching for a difference.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    you may also be able to have a set of cam bearings made to make up the difference between the head and cam you want to use, if you can find a shop that can do it. If you swap the valves, you can swap the cams to match the rockers.
    Pennyman1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12