Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T

Gas truck to diesel swap

Hello guys I need some help. I have a 4D55 engine that I would like to put in a truck, however I dont have the truck yet. I found some near me that are gas engines. What I need help with is, is the 5 speed trans compatible with the gas AND diesels? Or will I need other parts to make it work? My goal is to find a gas truck thats a 5 speed and just drop my diesel in, and since they came with diesels im hoping it wouldnt be that difficult. Thanks in advance for any help!

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Check out the diesel section on this board. You'd be surprised how much information you can get!
    I was looking into dropping a 4D55 into my 86. I hope you found one that you like!
    The 4D55 is still in the Astron engine family, so you have a few options. Any wide block transmission will fit. The most common you'll want to look for is a truck that is post 1982 that has a 2.6l (G54b) motor. I personally recommend a first gen (1982-1986) 4wd (AKA Power Ram 50).
    Good luck! I'm pretty new to the diesel scene in this truck. I got most of my information from NoahWins, he has several of the diesel engines. Just in-case you want to hit someone up who may know more than me.