Thread: Super Cheap AND Easy upgrade that is AMAZING!!!

Array
    Status
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Super Cheap AND Easy upgrade that is AMAZING!!!

Whats Happening Everybody!!

Ok, I was doing an upgrade on the MMMM and was looking for paint. I ended up buying about 4 cans of different colors of Grey/Gray/Aluminum/Stainless Steel Krylon paint. At $8.00 a can, I wasnt going to waste any!!

Of course, None of them were/are the right color. So, what did do? I started "lookin" for stuff to paint.

What happened next, Shocked AND surprised me!!! I took the tail lights apart and cleaned the reflective surface of the inside of the housing. I grabbed my Krylon Rust Tough Enamel (( RTA 9213 Aluminum )) The lid does NOT represent the paint. This paint is BRIGHT and REFLECTIVE too. I taped off the spaces between the lenses so they show a definte line between the stop/turn/reverse lenses.

I layed on 3 coats and was impressed to say the least!! THEN IT HAPPENED!!! I bolted the back together and slapped them back on the truck. The lights are at least 3x brighter than before!! Reverse lights I can actually back up with. Turn signals are very noticable!!! I was so impressed I took the cargo light off and sprayed the inside of that housing too! The cargo light only had a piece of reflective tape. Now, It lights up the bed like it was intended.

So for $8 and about an hour of your time, Easy upgrade!!!

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Interesting. Got any pictures?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    eastwood has reflective paint for light fixtures, but its way more than that - great find!!!
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    NOAHWINS, Sadly, Like sooo many of my upgrades, I just dive in with out taking before, during and after pictures.
    PENNYMAN, Oh I can imagine there are lots of reflective paints. This was just a fluke that I purchased the paint and it is as reflective as it is!!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I'm going to try out a technique I used on my wife's Honda Elite 50 scooter tail light by 'foiling' a spare set of tail lights for my L200/gen 1. I masked up the globe socket and coated the back half of the housing with spray glue, then pressed aluminium foil into it by hand. The rear brake light on the scooter was abysmal but the alfoil made a big improvement.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Thread needs pics.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    Thread needs pics.
    ...and I need a new DSLR! Got plenty of projects in the pipe requiring photos. When I get a camera, I'll start uploading.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    DSLR? Bah. This is why Steve Jobs invented the cameraphone.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff V. View Post
    DSLR? Bah. This is why Steve Jobs invented the cameraphone.
    I am a luddite. It seems most other people are luddites as well considering the frequency they destroy their smurtfones. Or upload their pictures inverted or sideways... I liked the DSLR - I could take amazing pictures with it (and none of them were of food )

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    My wife is a professional graphic artist and photographer, so I get what you're saying. She's got a really nice Canon DSLR. Still, the 'best' camera is the one you have available when you need it.

Array
    Status
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63
    Thanks for the find, I was planning to do something like this to mine. Maybe all of the signals

Array
    Status
    New Providence,PA
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G72
    Hello there, Hey ...i have a 2nd gen mm pickup,94 with a 3.0. I read all about your success at the tail light back up light project and decided to copy the procedure. Took out tail light assembly but my assembly didnt seem to come apart allowing me access to the inside of the lights to paint and fix the reflectivity issue. Can you advise me? What did i miss? Please help.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    They should just come apart. In original lamps there should be a foam seal between the body and the lens. Repos don't have that.
    Have a close look, they are probably just stuck with age. But perhaps someone has silicones them up. Some warm water and a flat painters blade might help

Array
    Status
    New Providence,PA
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G72
    Thanks...i will look at them closer and see. May be repops. Ill let ya know.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Cchuckster11 View Post
    Thanks...i will look at them closer and see. May be repops. Ill let ya know.
    Go easy on them if they're repro assemblies. The lenses on them are really thin and they won't take a hit like the OEM ones. If some genius has sealed them together with a bead of silicone, it's going to suck separating them... (they weren't exactly water tight so it wouldn't surprise me)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function