Thread: Jumping Off the Cliff! [ Exhaust-manifold replacement ] :)

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other

Jumping Off the Cliff! [ Exhaust-manifold replacement ] :)

1990 Dodge Ram 50 exhaust manifold replacement.

Spent a lot of time trying -- to include asking question on this site -- to understand what I need to do to replace my exhaust manifold. And I am about ready to jump off the cliff and do it (Tha DAH!).

My attitude, and goal, is to: 1.) use any methodology to my advantage that I can afford, that will; 2.) put the odds in my favor so that when I finish the install, I won't have a leaky exhaust manifold. I don't mind performing a bit of "overkill" if it might give me a percentage or two or three better chance of the manifold *not* leaking. [ Not having my Ram running is now costing me jobs. ]

But I'm also interested ( ! ) in any opinions regarding what you might consider overkill that might be *detrimental* to my goal of a non-leaking manifold.

a.) I have a new exhaust-manifold gasket and bought some Permatex Copper. I couldn't afford a Roloc kit as suggested by one member here, so unless I get some grief about this from forum members, I plan on using both the gasket, and the Permatex Copper [conservatively]. Is that "overkill but OK," or "unwise."

b.) For the *most* part I have the faces of the manifold clean down to the circular milling marks but still have a *bit* of carbon here or there in spots. Can I use a Dremel POLISH bit to remove those if done carefully? If "unwise," please tell me so.

c.) Am replacing one head-to-exhaust-manifold stud. Should I use any chemical goop of whatever sort for whatever reason when I thread it into the head?

By the way, I've been using Kroil Penetrating Oil on this job -- stellar stuff, imnsho.

Thanks for ALL the suggestions and help I've received the last couple of months or so. The more I've learned from all of you and the more I've worked on "Bob" [ in tribute to Sen. Robert "Bob" Dole ] the more I've become enchanted by these small trucks. All due to YOU people.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Somehow I screwed up and have a gray/grey background. What, pray, did I do wrong?