Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Hi. 1st time owner, '84 Mighty Max

Hi all :-)

Just picked up an old man's truck, mostly original parts at 91k. Needs about every gasket & seal & hose in the book, some things just rotting away. Having fun learning about it & dove in head first. Found the 1st time owners thread & going though that & what I see should be done -- thanks for making that easy to find.

Figured I should come in here & say *hi* while I'm searching all the threads for tips and trying to figure things out.
    ~Diana

IMG_2075.jpg

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the mad house. 91k original? Single measly shot of that plate won't do, more pics of the sleeping giant, please!

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Ok I'll see what I can do for pics... be gentle please, I don't think anyone ever cared about this truck before last week. These pics are from day 1 of purchase for a whopping $500. Sort of sad looking really - but will be so much better of course.

IMG_2078.jpgIMG_2098.JPGIMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2107.JPGIMG_2126.jpgIMG_2123.jpg
    new_truck.jpg00R0R_9C2tx4cDdGu_600x450.jpg
    Last edited by BradMph; 12-22-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Oh didn't see how to edit, sorry. The seller had put in new wires, alt, battery & 1 other thing I forgot what right now. Things had disappeared, like an idler arm bushing, the battery tiedown, and washer off the air filter... strange. Squeaked like a ton of mice, greased it up and started in on the oil change/new oil pan gasket, etc. Hoses are nearly crumbling so they're next along w/the ancient radiator. The list should keep me busy until next summer, haha!

Amazingly it starts, runs, drives, and stops like it's supposed to. In town & freeway much to my surprise on the test drive. Just needs a LOT of TLC.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quick get rid of the truck before it grabs your wallet and takes over your life. We cannot be saved it's too late for us, but you can still save yourself!!!!

Fixed your post for you.
    Welcome to the Forum Washintonian

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    All of the cosmetic stuff is easy to replace or fix.

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Quick get rid of the truck before it grabs your wallet and takes over your life. We cannot be saved it's too late for us, but you can still save yourself!!!!

Fixed your post for you.
    Welcome to the Forum Washintonian
    Oh thank you so much for fixing that ~ looks much better now!

Thanks for the *warning* lol, I'm already catching myself making longer wishlists. Trying to focus on the things it really needs for now

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    All of the cosmetic stuff is easy to replace or fix.
    Yep yep, glad you said that! That's what I kept telling myself last week when deciding yes/no buy or not... but there's a lot it needs so will take a while.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    congrats! savage deal...massive potential. looks like a rear slider & bed liner already in place. any close up pics of the rear bumper? best of luck!

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Hm, no idea why but I didn't think to take a pic of the rear bumper. Maybe just worried too much about finding any rust underneath and leaks. I can take a pic of it the daylight tomorrow. It's one of those that looks like 2 pipes stacked on top of each other - no idea what it's called. Still new at this truck thing obviously.

I need to look back there anyway to figure out how the tow attachment is supposed to go on. There was 1 or 2 of them behind the bench seat *shrugs* once again, no idea why.

Finally got the oil pan off tonight. Happy to see no sludge or metal pieces in there. Will be taking pics of that too, can share if wanted. Sort of just trying to ease my mind about all the important bits first, know what I mean? And it sure was leaking from that oil pan gasket (or rtv).

Array
    Status
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    BradMPH warned you........ Please for the love of your lifestyle....... Take plenty of BEFORE pictures, Because it wont stay that way long!!!! Welcome to the forum and these guys are awesome on the board!!!!

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Aww thanks MIHIFISI I really need to get out there and take lots of pics yes. For some reason my laptop doesn't want to read my 8GB camera memory card anymore so stuck with the 128MB one. Should hit the last minute sales tomorrow & also pick up another bigger memory card to load up on pics in one session. Wasn't in a rush since it's so ugly right now. But you're right! Should take them anyway.

Love reading through the posts here with so many great ideas & VERY helpful yes especially to me the noobiest noob of them all Lol, seriously helpful though yes, thank you for the warning, too. To be honest so far I've been relieved at how cheap things have been... of course I'm just getting started... you can watch me sink deeper & deeper as Summer gets closer

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that truck is clean for its age - great find. As far as these trucks taking over your life, Just because I bought Geronimo new in 1980 and still have him, that says something - not sure what though. Having 2 others waiting to be revived - thats insanity...Welcome to the forum - ask away if you have questions.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    that truck is clean for its age - great find. As far as these trucks taking over your life, Just because I bought Geronimo new in 1980 and still have him, that says something - not sure what though. Having 2 others waiting to be revived - thats insanity...Welcome to the forum - ask away if you have questions.
    Thanks Pennyman! I've had my other Mitsubishi for going on 15 years now, so understand it means something - still don't know what myself. Wished I could have found it new - good for you!!! AND this one still doesn't have a name... hmm.

Glad to read what you said about the truck. It's my first one, so I wasn't positive it was a great find until I looked into the oil pan last night.

Your posts have helped a LOT already as I've been going through the forum trying to figure out what I'm looking at & see your name all over Thanks & yeah I will ask as soon as I'm done with these 2 things left right now. #1 is to get the oil pan back on & #2 is the idler arm bushing replacement. Then I'll drive it around a bit and see what screams: fix me!

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by ragragtimetime View Post
    congrats! savage deal...massive potential. looks like a rear slider & bed liner already in place. any close up pics of the rear bumper? best of luck!
    IMG_2143.jpgIMG_2144.JPG

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    thanks! very helpful...i am gathering ideas. I see (by the colored wires) where the previous owner(s) have tapped into your rear wiring to power the trailer lights.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that looks like the Fey aftermarket bumper from the 90's with the oval tubes - it also has a class 2 / 3 2" receiver built in. Thanks for the mention of the help I have posted - I do try to help all the best I can. You learn a lot having these trucks for 34 years - and my Dad thought Geronimo would not be around for 5-10 years , let alone 34. Then again, I have changed a few parts over the years...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Oh hey thanks for that info on the wires & the bumper & the hook up thing, will need that later when I'm trying to figure out how to tow things when needed! I had no idea at all what those things were for or called lol. I've been stuck at the front end of the truck for what feels like a week now. Finally got off the oil pan, and STILL working on cleaning up the mating surfaces for putting the pan back on. Freakin' cold outside makes me extra slow.

Since I had it off though, I took lots of pics of the engine from the bottom. Once again, only a little idea of what I'm looking at but taking pics just the same in case there's a problem later. I also didn't touch a thing in the engine so I couldn't mess anything up. Just sticking to cleaning off all the RTV & gunk from the very bottom where the gasket was before.

IMG_2153.jpgIMG_2150.jpgIMG_2151.jpgIMG_2152.jpgIMG_2154.jpgIMG_2155.jpgIMG_2156.jpgIMG_2157.jpgIMG_2159.jpgIMG_2160.jpgIMG_2162.jpgIMG_2164.jpgIMG_2165.jpgIMG_2166.jpgIMG_2169.jpg

Hope ya'll had a really nice Christmas Was nice but cold enough to drink extra hot cocoa here, lol.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Are those moisture spots I see everywhere? Almost looks like evidence of water there. If your getting moisture in the oil I hate to think you may have an internal leak(crack) that has not been diagnosed yet. Might use an oil catch can if nothing is located to catch that water until the engine gives up it's location.

moisture.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    About "Internal leak(crack) that has not been diagnosed yet" ~~~ certainly could be!!! Will look for other signs just in case! Any pointers on where I should start looking for symptoms of that would be super appreciated! I'm going to go start searching now to see what I can find, too! Thanks for the idea.

I figured it was just flash reflection from the white plastic under the truck I've been laying on. Laying under the thing all these darn hours the drops are still there. Hmm. Didn't see any water in the oil container that it was drained into, or in the oil pan itself while I was slowly tilting it looking for sludgy stuff... and making dang sure there was no coolant in there... but just in case I'll see what all I can find to rule it out or confirm it. Better safe than sorry later!!!

Thank you for looking!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Checking the head would be the best I think. Usually the heads crack between them valves or jet valves though. You may of had a leaking headgasket too which you'll fix with a new one in your build. It could be nothing to worry about, it just caught my eye and wanted to mention it. I never seen so many spots like them before and they seem to be in several photos too. Having a rusty radiator like you had there, it wouldn't surprise me if it just deteriorated the head gasket to let water squirm into the oil a little.

Oh, you maybe right on reflection, lol I didn't know your photos were taken on your back. I'm sure that is probably what it is.

If you don't mind me asking, who taught you how to work on trucks? It is rare to find a lady that jumps into things like this (mechanical)and you seem to enjoy it too.
    Last edited by BradMph; 12-27-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Checking the head would be the best I think. Usually the heads crack between them valves or jet valves though. You may of had a leaking headgasket too which you'll fix with a new one in your build. It could be nothing to worry about, it just caught my eye and wanted to mention it. I never seen so many spots like them before and they seem to be in several photos too. Having a rusty radiator like you had there, it wouldn't surprise me if it just deteriorated the head gasket to let water squirm into the oil a little.

Oh, you maybe right on reflection, lol I didn't know your photos were taken on your back. I'm sure that is probably what it is.

If you don't mind me asking, who taught you how to work on trucks? It is rare to find a lady that jumps into things like this (mechanical)and you seem to enjoy it too.
    Yeah, I'm suspicious of the head gasket, sure that it's not blown, but it may be seeping around the outside edges (not actually leaking yet). Or frankly it could be leaking from the oil cap! Just haven't gotten to that yet. Even if it needs done, it's RIGHT THERE on top, lol, so easy to get to. There doesn't seem to be any coolant/oil water/oil, mixing up. No smoke, no milky oil, no water in the pan or when it was drained. No overheating. Waiting til this is back on to clean everything, run it & see where it's leaking from if anywhere at all.

The pics- I was so excited to get that darn pan off I ran in the house to grab the camera for pics. Freakin' cold outside & would rather stare at the engine on pics inside than lay there on the cold cement 1 minute longer.

Well, I was an only child and my dad was a serious hot rod guy back in his prime. I was his shadow so he had me handing him tools as far back as I can remember, so in my childhood I saw anything was possible with cars. My 1st was an old mustang that had problems and if I wanted to drive it, I needed to fix it or pay to fix it. I paid often because I was dumb, lol, but learned & started working in an auto parts place.

Fast forward to lots of kids (all boys) & little money years after I got my dream car, a '93 mitsubishi which I bought at 142k & now has 269k - and many times over the years if I wanted to drive, I had to fix it, lol. I couldn't part with it, way too fun to drive. Now 1 of my kids is getting good at working on cars - he couldn't learn unless I figured out how to show him. He calls me on being stupid so yeah I enjoy figuring it out to try to teach him the right way w/out the shortcuts & figuring things out with him. Thank god for the interwebs and helpful people on car forums

This truck - was a dream to me way back in the 80's and too expensive which is why the mustang. My boyfriend *hates* to work on vehicles but his F250 sucks & he wanted a different truck - something easier & w/better gas mileage. Great excuse for me to pick one up! Now I'm 40+ and the truck is so freakin simple compared to the '93 car I'm not scared to jump right in. Knew what I was willing to deal with (or not) when I bought it ready to jump in and make it reliable. No computers to speak of and so few sensors = big bonus to me. Saw someone post with a Weber carb (or holley, etc) the ECU can be eliminated - will look in to that eventually *big smiles*.

Already planning on buying another one (thinking extended cab so there's plenty of room for my big dog, she's 1/2 my weight & almost as tall as me!) after this one is good to go. Sell the F250, pay taxes & maybe by summer get a twin... Anyways. I have a thing for Mitsubishi because of all the cars over the years it's the one make that if I fixed something once, it never needed fixing again, so unlike ford. (no offense to any ford lovers out there).

I love love love takin road trips & dread breaking down. Never been stranded anywhere broke down & don't plan on it. Aware the only way is to keep maintenance up & take care of whatever your driving at the time. That's why I enjoy it, when a car/truck is purring and happy we have freedom to just pick up & go anywhere.