Status
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

G63B | oil sensor and electric fuel pump

Hello,

I'm just finishing up converting my '89 MM to an AirTex electric fuel pump & Redline Weber after motor rebuild.

I want to wire a cutoff to fuel pump if oil pressure drops. I want a 3 prong oil pressure sensor: terminals P,S & I for this purpose, but have been unable to find one. I ordered one from RockAuto, but thread size did not match. According to technician atAirTex's sensor site, this sensor's thread is: 1/8-28 ISO Tapered Thread. Can anyone confirm this?

AirTex lists a ton of oil sensors, but none with P,S & I terminals with this thread size. I have emails out (no response yet) to several Carter vendors, asking if they have one.

If anyone has a part. # and/or supplier, greatly appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Maybe this will help?

http://www.wellsve.com/parts/

Array
    Status
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    > Maybe this will help?

Thanks... same as AirTech site: no "safety" (3 prong) switches for this thread size. I have confirmed stock part's thread size is: 1/8-28 ISO Tapered.

I did find this AirTex switch on AutoZone. Thread size is not listed, but their site says it fits my G63B (crossing fingers). I called nearest AutoZone, there's one in stock on other side of town and they'll have it here early tomorrow. Can check thread size then.

Array
    Status
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Switch I linked to from AUTOZONE in last post is incorrect thread. I'm surprised nobody has come up with solution, given the many discussions here on WEBER/electric fuel pump conversion.

At this point, I'm inclined to plug my existing sensor hole and tap/thread to match one of the many safety switch thread sizes w/PSI (low) ratings appropriate for this motor. I've put a lot of time/$$ into rebuilding this old truck for long term reliable use, and really don't want to 1/2 ass anything this close to reaching that goal.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    There is a thread on here where I give the part number for a 3 prong sensor like you are looking for, it is a wells ps128. You have to get an adaptor fitting to adapt the switch to the metric port on the block. I got an adaptor kit with various adaptor fitting in it to match up the port on the block to the switch. Best way is to go to a real auto parts store like napa that has fittings in a drawer with the oil light switch from the block and the switch and get an adaptor that matches up. I have run this switch this way on Geronimo for 31 years, and the only problem I ever had was the switch failing, not the fitting leaking.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Thanks PennyMan... read/searched everything here I could find on electric fuel pump/weber conversion but did not see that.

I went to NAPA and several Performance specialty stores here (Albuquerque), could not find adaptor. You said the block's thread was metric (right?): from all I determined, it is a little used thread anywhere: 1/8-28 ISO Tapered.

Anyway, I pulled the mounting plate for fuel pressure switch/oil filter off the block yesterday, took it to a machine shop and had it re-threaded for 1/4 NPT thread... whole bunch of switches from Wells/AirTex/BorgWarner with that thread. Bought a BorgWarner @ O'Reilley's. Machining was just $20.

One thing I am curious about (haven't looked at my Chilton's manual for this yet): my engine rebuilder mounted that adaptor plate w/out a gasket (he screwed a bunch of things up). Several cutouts on the mounting face w/block had gasket residue, he just used some type of "form a gasket". Thinking best to put a gasket in there, I have plenty of gasket material. If anyone's sure about this I'd appreciate knowing.

Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    My adaptor plate for the pump blockoff on Geronimo is sealed with silicone form a gasket - 30+ years and counting - no leaks.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    The only reason gaskets are used anyway is to compensate for uneven surfaces. If manufactures got surfaces absolutely perfect, the gasket making companies would go out of business.

I made my own gasket and used a very thin layer of gasket making permatex RTV, temp safe. I'll be dead in less then 30 years, so Pennyman's record will still stand, lol.

Array
    Status
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Thanks guys.