Array
    Status
    Florence, SC
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B

Timing belt brands

Has anyone here used ITM timing components? I was going to use the continental brand belt but heard good things about ITM products being made in Japan for the OEM market, and I can not beat their prices......any thoughts or suggestions?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    As an ex-Subaru guy who got burned off brand parts more than I care to admit when I was younger and broker, the old cliches really are true.

"You get exactly what you pay for."

"Buy cheap, buy twice."

"If you can't afford to do it right once, how can you afford to do it twice?"

"Nothing fits like factory."

For absolutely cannot fail parts like timing components, oil and water pumps and head gaskets personally I would buy only direct from Mitsubishi. Other stuff, not as big a deal. But knowing how sensitive these engines are to overheating and what can happen if a timing belt fails, is saving $10 on something that isn't guanteed to meet MHI standards really worth it?

Array
    Status
    Florence, SC
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    As an ex-Subaru guy who got burned off brand parts more than I care to admit when I was younger and broker, the old cliches really are true.

"You get exactly what you pay for."

"Buy cheap, buy twice."

"If you can't afford to do it right once, how can you afford to do it twice?"

"Nothing fits like factory."

For absolutely cannot fail parts like timing components, oil and water pumps and head gaskets personally I would buy only direct from Mitsubishi. Other stuff, not as big a deal. But knowing how sensitive these engines are to overheating and what can happen if a timing belt fails, is saving $10 on something that isn't guanteed to meet MHI standards really worth it?
    I was thinking the same thing....just saw a thread on DSM forum showing the reason to use OEM. They had a pic of the ITM belt broken within 300 miles. I did find out the other components are very good quality and same bearings as OEM. I think I will stick with OEM or possibly a kevlar belt this time around. My belt is recent but my valve seals are leaking and I figured I would replace the belt since I am pulling the head for service. Thanks for the input.