Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

New owner '87 Dodge Ram 50 2.0 Auto

Well, I found this site while considering snagging an 87 Ram 50 last week and it seems this is the place to be. Ended up getting the truck for 900 bucks running and driving with a/c and a clear title.

Previous owner dropped the truck without cutting bump stops...so it was a rough ride home. Spent today cutting the bump stops, shortening the extra length on the u bolts, and repairing a leaking filler neck. While at it I replaced the rear fuel lines and created a fuel flow problem...more on that at another time. Thinking I may have gotten some junk in the carb...which seems like a nightmare with the mikuni emissions friendly system.

Anyway, glad I found this site.

About me, I design and make stuff...of many types.

Don
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Florence, SC
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    Welcome to the forum. Looks like you build some nice items there. I like the wheels on your truck btw.....I looked high and low for a set at a decent price for my truck. Spend some time surfing on here and you can find out most anything you may need to know without even having to ask. I was surprised at the amount of things covered here so far.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the forum

Looks like you have a great truck to do your fabrications on. Might need some stiffer shocks to keep the truck off the cut stops as well, You probably will need to change some driving habits for example, driving over speed bumps and avoiding those holes in the road. They can sound pretty bad when they do bang the stops, but it's better to do that then bang a pan or exhaust.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks @ddperry. I like the wheels as well. Found enough info here to sort out my issues and get her purring again yesterday.

@Brad...you got that right. Hacking and welding custom suspension and more on a $900 truck is a lot easier than on a new $30k+ one. Lol. My ultimate plan will be either to bag it with full custom suspension, or convert to coil overs on all four corners. That said, for now I'm gonna be using it as a runabout until I source all the parts and also collect a full turbo mill to swap in at the same time, so the immediate plan is to swap these cut drop springs (nearest I can tell they cut over a coil off of the driver side drop spring) with a set of 1/2 coil or so cut stock springs and swap the 3" blocks for 2". These tires at 27.3" tall just won't squeeze into the front fenders until some major clearance work is done. I'll be tossing on some appropriate new shocks to hold me till I upgrade. Should have the suspension swapped over this weekend so I can send the truck to my buddy and have some body damage worked out and maybe fresh paint sprayed. While he's at it I plan to go ahead and have him roll my fender lips.

As as for driving a lowered vehicle...well versed in slammed ride route choices The last ride I dropped had to be hand lifted 2" just to get a floor jack under it. Lol

Don

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Automatics are pretty rare and automatic 2.0s are even less common. And you got those nice Titan steel wheels. Looks great, start a build thread as you work on the suspension, welcome to the board.