Array
    Status
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Raider/Montero

Before I start my search, I wanted to ask were there any things I should look for in particular?

What are the best year models?

I know about the motors from my MMM, I haven't dabbled w/ the 4x4 yet.

Thanks in advance guys AND Girl........ If we have any on here!!

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    There are three different arrangements of Montero in the US market.

From 1983 to 1988 the Montero was sold as a 3-door with the 2.6L NA 4-cyl, stick or auto trans. Variations of equipment include power windows and locks, headlight washers, suspension seat bases, limited slip rear differential, and gear ratios that include 3.909, 4.22, 4.625, and 4.875. The first Monteros and Dodge Raiders were leaf rear spring.

In 1988, the 5-door model was available and all were equipped with the 3.0L V6. Late 1988 model 3-doors were also available with the V6. The rear suspension changed to coil springs and linked rear axle.

In general, the V6 models are favored by most due to the ability to use several pieces from the later Gen II Montero, especially the rear axle with air locker and disk brakes.

All are very durable vehicles, but you have to choose your poison...the 4-cyl have the typical head gasket issues found across all models and the V6 models with valve stem seals. The KM145 transmissions in the 4-cyl are often weak and jump out of gear when the synchros wear out.

I have owned, driven, and parted out over 15 Monteros and Raiders. My preference is for the 4-cyl because of less electronics and things that go whir.

For further information, the largest Montero board remains at 4x4wire.com: http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/postli...=0&Board=UBB69, while other boards are found at Pirate, Outer Limits 4x4 (Australia), and now on Facebook.

Cheers,
    Russell

Array
    Status
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks so much for the heads up, These look like they could be fun.

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Hands down, the 87 Raider I have has been the best vehicle I've owned. Purchased for $1k from the second owner, I put about 100K miles on it...rarely nice. Was a great little driver for work, sometimes for play.