Thread: Seatbelt Recall for Mitsubishi Trucks - Have Yours Been Replaced?

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Seatbelt Recall for Mitsubishi Trucks - Have Yours Been Replaced?

Those of you that have just purchased your first Mitsubishi / Dodge truck need to research the federal recall listing on these vehicles. If you have never had it checked for this recall, then you truly need to find out if your truck falls into this requirement. The seatbelts are a must and especially in a collision.
    Good ole Mitsubishi cut some corners in the safety department and installed some self destructing seatbelt buckles in our trucks. They were nabbed by the feds and required to have these replaced with new ones. Though I am pretty sure they slap the same crappy ones in, but newer.
    Anyway, this is a free repair for your truck and you should get it checked to see if they have been replaced. Recalls done to our trucks usually end up with a recall sticker placed under the hood with a recall number identifying it to the owner. If you find out your truck has not been repaired, contact the nearest dealer to have the repair completed. It's better to know it has been done then finding out later when they are peeling your face off the front windshield.

Here is the information for the recall.

nhtsa-logo.jpg
    Recall 95V103004
    For Models: Mitsubishi 3000GT, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mitsubishi Mighty Max, Mitsubishi Mirage, Mitsubishi Montero
    Body, Interior & Misc., November 1, 1995
    Summary: THE FRONT SAFETY BELT BUCKLE RELEASE BUTTONS CAN BREAK. THESE RED PLASTIC RELEASE BUTTONS ARE MARKED "PRESS." IF A BUTTON BREAKS, PIECES CAN FALL INTO THE BUCKLE ASSEMBLY CAUSING THE BUCKLE TO OPERATE IMPROPERLY.

Original Recall from the NHTSA
    Manufacturer's Report Date: November 1, 1995
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 95V103004
    NHTSA Action Number: PE94093
    Component: SEAT BELTS:FRONT:BUCKLE ASSEMBLY
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 658000

Summary: THE FRONT SAFETY BELT BUCKLE RELEASE BUTTONS CAN BREAK. THESE RED PLASTIC RELEASE BUTTONS ARE MARKED "PRESS." IF A BUTTON BREAKS, PIECES CAN FALL INTO THE BUCKLE ASSEMBLY CAUSING THE BUCKLE TO OPERATE IMPROPERLY.

Consequence: THE SAFETY BELTS WOULD NOT PROVIDE ADEQUATE PROTECTION TO AN OCCUPANT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy: OWNERS SHOULD PROMPTLY CHECK THE CONDITION AND OPERATION OF BOTH FRONT SAFETY BELT BUCKLES AND CAREFULLY INSPECT THE RED RELEASE BUTTON FOR ANY BREAKS OR CRACKS. THEY SHOULD ENSURE THAT BOTH BUCKLES ARE OPERATING PROPERLY BY INSERTING EACH LATCH PLATE INTO ITS BUCKLE, TUGGING ON THE BELT TO MAKE SURE THE LATCH IS SECURELY LOCKED, AND THEN PRESSING THE RELEASE BUTTON. THE LATCH PLATE SHOULD POP OUT OF THE BUCKLE WHEN THE BUTTON IS PRESSED. IF EITHER RELEASE BUTTON SHOWS A SIGN OF BREAKING OR CRACKING OR IF EITHER BUCKLE FAILS TO OPERATE PROPERLY, OWNERS SHOULD PROMPTLY CONTACT THEIR AUTHORIZED DEALER TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT TO HAVE THE BUCKLE REPLACED OR REPAIRED, FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER IS DEVELOPING A REMEDY DESIGNED TO PREVENT FAILURE OF THE BUTTONS THAT ARE NOT CURRENTLY BROKEN.

Notes: SYSTEM: INTERIOR; SEAT BELTS; BELT BUCKLES.VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES AND LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS AND VANS EQUIPPED WITH SAFETY BELTS MADE BY TAKATA CORPORATION.NOTE: IF YOUR VEHICLE IS PRESENTED TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND THE REMEDY IS NOT PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME, PLEASE CONTACT MITSUBISHI AT 1-800-222-0037. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.

Array
    Status
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Wow - Just saw this for the first time now. Without even looking in my truck I know the driver seat belt is broken. The little red 'press' button is not only cracked but is a real PITA to get the belt into.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    I called MMNA just for the fun of it and was replied with "Sir, do you realize how old your truck is?" They do not wanna hear about it LOL

Array
    Status
    Mesa, Az
    Vehicle

1982 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    I swapped in late model Montero seat belt assemblies, they bolt up and look stock except the reel is white plastic and i had to cut some plastic trim rings off because the Montero ones are inside the body not outside like the Mighty Max units.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    All life time safety recalls are done at the dealer no matter how old the truck. They will repair the car for free if the recall has not been done.
    There are more recalls on our trucks. The D50 has a recall on the idler arms. The Mighty Max has brake problems.
    Use the search engine. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

Use the search to find out what yours has. By law the dealer MUST replace the part free of charge if the recall has not been done to the truck. If it has already been done then that's where the liability ends. But it must be a safety related item. Things like the AC are not covered by the life time recall.
    The law also states the parts must be made

Frequently asked questions. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm

[top]Examples of defects considered safety-related

• Steering components that break suddenly causing partial or complete loss of vehicle control.
    • Problems with fuel system components, particularly in their susceptibility to crash damage, that result in leakage of fuel and possibly cause vehicle fires.
    • Accelerator controls that may break or stick.
    • Wheels that crack or break, resulting in loss of vehicle control.
    • Engine cooling fan blades that break unexpectedly causing injury to persons working on a vehicle.
    • Windshield wiper assemblies that fail to operate properly.
    • Seats and/or seat backs that fail unexpectedly during normal use.
    • Critical vehicle components that break, fall apart, or separate from the vehicle, causing potential loss of vehicle control or injury to persons inside or outside the vehicle.
    • Wiring system problems that result in a fire or loss of lighting.
    • Car ramps or jacks that may collapse and cause injury to someone working on a vehicle.
    • Air bags that deploy under conditions for which they are not intended to deploy.
    • Child safety seats that contain defective safety belts, buckles, or components that create a risk of injury, not only in a vehicle crash but also in non-operational safety of a motor vehicle.

[top]Examples of defects NOT considered safety-related:

• Air conditioners and radios that do not operate properly.
    • Ordinary wear of equipment that has to be inspected, maintained and replaced periodically. Such equipment includes shock absorbers, batteries, brake pads and shoes, and exhaust systems.
    • Nonstructural or body panel rust.
    • Quality of paint or cosmetic blemishes.
    • Excessive oil consumption.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I work at Mitsubishi in the service department. Seat belts have been discontinued by Mitsubishi so they no longer replace these belts under the recall or at all. As far as I can find there is no NOS in the continental United States.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Hmmm,
    aAron, I spent 20 Yrs in dealerships, Mfgr marque is inconsequential at this juncture,...

I can confirm for fact 'Safety Related' NHTSA flagged repairs are By Law open ---'Lifetime'---

As to the NOS inference, New-Obsolete-Stock, ... every campaign I have repaired has an updated
    (redesigned) part # & NOS inventory was to be scraped.

Thx again Honored Posters !!! I am off to ck the 6 belt receivers on 'Whitey' & 'The Mule'

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Thx !!, appreciate the help.
    All are good (for now, lol).
    Filed away if needed

Array
    Status
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I called my local dealer hoping they would have the part or possible good will me a new set. Turns out they said the recall expired and they could transfer me to the parts department but they were not much help either.
    Any good ideas for other Mitsubishi that will fit our trucks. Have a 1988 Mighty Max base so I am still rocking the bench seat for now but its a must that I update soon as I am now driving with my sons car seat.

Thanks

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    This doesn't impede the ability to get inspected correct? Im about to register and inspect mine which has had an inspection since 1995

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    You may try going above the head of a doink dealer. Check to see if the recall is still listed as a lifetime recall. If you find that it is, contact the mitsubishi corporation in LA and let them know what the dealer said about not honoring a federal recall. Dealers have a set time and price for repairing recalls and if they can't get it done it the time allowed, they lose money.
    There was, at one time and exhaust manifold recall on my '86 MM. The recall mentioned about the cracks developing in the collector due to inferior casting materials and procedures and would let carbon monoxide gases into passenger compartment . The bad thing is that they replaced the exhaust manifold with the exact same kind that cracked prior. As long as they service the recall contract...they have done their part in the fed's eyes.
    My seat belts were replace and the truck was at least 15 years old when they were done. Again, they serviced the recall by installing the same BS type of seat belts that broke in the seat belt buckler the first time.

Don't trust any dealers, they will tell you whatever they decide to say at the time.

Array
    Status
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    Well I guess my 1980 Plymouth Arrow is not part of the seat belt recall.

I did replace my older arm bushings.

Array
    Status
    sacramento, ca
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Anybody ever try seatbelt planet?

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread but i found some info worth sharing. I found the part numbers for the revised buckles instead of the old numbers im sure most dealerships try to order for replacements.

CBFT6551 Dark Grey (86)
    CBBT6552 Beige (86)
    CBLT6553 Light Grey (87-90)
    CBA56554 Light Grey (91)
    CBDS6555 Beige (87-91)
    CBES6556 Blue (87-91)

Hope that helps!

Array
    Status
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    We received two notices and this is the latest. We never had the maintenance done as my husband is lazy about such things, mainly because he doesn't want to drive 55 miles to the nearest Mitsubishi dealership to have it done. I'm usually the one that is quick to get the recalls taken care of. You remind me that I should give them a call (north Little Rock) to see what they say about it.

Tried to sort the attachements by file name, but didn't work.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Good to see the official paperwork with the TSB and campaign numbers. i wonder if it matters who originally sold the truck (if its a dodge or a mitsubishi) as to which dealership it has to go to? Im pretty sure that most dealers simply look up the discontinued defective par numbers and just say they cant get them anymore. if someone has all the paperwork handy and even has the updated part numbers i would think (hope) that everything would be fixed properly. let us know how it goes if you do call them with this info.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by StarquestMan View Post
    Good to see the official paperwork with the TSB and campaign numbers. i wonder if it matters who originally sold the truck (if its a dodge or a mitsubishi) as to which dealership it has to go to? Im pretty sure that most dealers simply look up the discontinued defective par numbers and just say they cant get them anymore. if someone has all the paperwork handy and even has the updated part numbers i would think (hope) that everything would be fixed properly. let us know how it goes if you do call them with this info.
    I called the hotline 800 number a couple weeks ago, got the number form another member who had received the same letter. Yup, the neuber still works.
    The person I spoke to was trying to be helpful but ran into a dead end because the recall was shown as closed on his system. He did connect me to the local Chrysler dealer (mine is a Ram 50) over the phone, who looked up the vin and said that his system showed that my truck had had the recall service performed in '97. I asked what would happen if the recall wasn't performed, he said they would do it, "as long as they could get the parts"...