Thread: Prep of head exhaust-port (newbie)

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other

Question Prep of head exhaust-port (newbie)

Newbie here, living in the center of the desert. I'm prepping the head exhaust-port surfaces [ is that what you call them? ] for the install of an exhaust manifold (don't have it yet). Using 80-grit sandpaper: is 80 grit OK; good or bad? Would have to order a finer grade by mail. I might be able to borrow a Dremel tool. (There are no professional mechanics or machine shops within 60 miles, and only one little store with little to choose from.) Have a Fel-Pro exhaust manifold gasket: better or worse if I use a "sealant," RV-something or other? [ 1990 Ram 50, 2.4L w/ fuel injection and SOHC ] Thanks to any respondents!

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Thank you for the reply, sir. I'm half way into this YouTube video and I gather so far I can use: a Dremel (electric, don't have air) and 80 grit. I don't have the head off; it's sitting there on top of the block in the engine compartment. All I did was remove the cracked exhaust manifold. Now I need to clean -- as well as I can with the few assets I have -- the head surface that the manifold will butt up against (with the gasket in between, of course). Am i missing something? I live in the boonies (as we used to say in VN), in a town of 125, with not even a Taco Bell, with assets to match. What do I do to "put the odds in my favor" when I do this job?

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Jesus, so much to go wrong here lol. If your going to do a carbon clean on the exhaust side I would recommend closing off each cylinder and going at it with a toothbrush and solvent and blow it out with some canned air. I would do this before I ever took a dremel to a head that was still on a motor.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    I use "Red" RTV (High Temp) sealant from the auto store.. to seal up the exhaust manifold on my setup.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Cut the bristles to about half length on the toothbrush to give it more oomph.

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Mis read his post thought he wanted to do a port and polish with taking the head off .

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Excellent responses, gentlemen. Tells me just what I need to know. (And would NEVER have thought of the toothbrush "cutting the bristles" trick - LOL). Thank you thank you thank you! / Christopher

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I have been using permatex copper in place of the exhaust gasket - Geronimo's header has been on for 27+ years with that and still does not leak. If you are cleaning up the face of the head for the new gasket, get a roloc kit for your drill - they have a gasket kit to prep the surfaces of any auto for new gaskets.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Thank you, pennyman1, for the suggestion. Looking at a set now. /c

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Pennyman dropped a coin under the seat when he first bought his truck. He relocated the coin years later and it was worth hundreds. He is our forum longest truck owner by far. I know I won't catch up with him, he got me by 8 years.

All kidding aside, he is a great go to guy for 1st gens and DroppedMitsu knows that head swap and turbo...check his thread

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Thanks for the up-thumb/info for Pennyman1.